Procedural Activation of RBD's

elipse

I've been thinking about this process for a while now, I just can't seem to get the my head around how to get started with it. Basically this is the idea, when you create your RBD's they are created with a deactivation key node, then when a rbd comes within a distance of another specified object it becomes active and starts doing its stuff.

My reason for wanting to do this is that, while I could just key the activity of the RBD's I can only do it on a per frame level, if it was procedural then it could be done on a sub-step therefore alot more accurate. Plus if I've got 100's of RBD's it be nice to have non-hero objects procedural.

I have used rayfire quite a lot and as this has this sort of functionality I kind of miss it! Rayfire works by either activation by Geometry or forces, the the geometry method works by testing for intersecting bounding boxes.

I was toying with idea of using intersecting SDF's or collisions of specified objects (or both) to activate the bodies, my problem is how should this be implemented? would it be a good idea to take a similar approach to johners voronoi shatter solver and create a solver to use in a multi solver to do this?

If anyone can offer any advice, potential gotcha's I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,

Chris

Its not as good as I'd hoped, unlike yours which is pretty kick-ass!

I'm just trying to work out how to get access to the collsion data in dops, so I can switch things from static to rigid depending on whats hit them.

Cheers for the file,

Chris