hdr lighting like maya possible ?

JCB

is it possible to map hdr images on spheres and use them for lighting as we can do it in Maya?

Check out the Environment Light tool, or pop an area hlight into environment mode. This uses an infinitely large sphere or hemisphere (depending on the "use full sphere for environment" parameter) as an area source. You can put your hdr image into the "area map" parameter.

Check out the Environment Light tool, or pop an area hlight into environment mode. This uses an infinitely large sphere or hemisphere (depending on the "use full sphere for environment" parameter) as an area source. You can put your hdr image into the "area map" parameter.

yeah, thanks, but I want to adjust my sphere, for example rotate it or customize my mapping. Is that possible ?

You can rotate the environment light.

If You want to use a object for lighting the scene, to enable uv modifications You can use a constant material on a sphere that surrounds Your scene. Now You have two options.

1. Add a light template to Your scene and attach a vex global illumionation shader to it. set the irradiancestyel to full irradiance. and render. to speed it up You can enable the irradiance cache in the mantraROP.

2.Change Your renderer to Physically Based Rendering , in the PBR tab set the diffuse limit greater than 0, turn of headlight creation. and render. Adjust the sampling as needed.

Now You can use Your sphere to light the scene and adjust the mapping as needed. But PBR works quite nice with environmentlights so I would stick to it first, and use the objectlightway only for illuminating objects, Though it work fine, too.

cheers Martin

You can rotate the environment light.

If You want to use a object for lighting the scene, to enable uv modifications You can use a constant material on a sphere that surrounds Your scene. Now You have two options.

1. Add a light template to Your scene and attach a vex global illumionation shader to it. set the irradiancestyel to full irradiance. and render. to speed it up You can enable the irradiance cache in the mantraROP.

2.Change Your renderer to Physically Based Rendering , in the PBR tab set the diffuse limit greater than 0, turn of headlight creation. and render. Adjust the sampling as needed.

Now You can use Your sphere to light the scene and adjust the mapping as needed. But PBR works quite nice with environmentlights so I would stick to it first, and use the objectlightway only for illuminating objects, Though it work fine, too.

cheers Martin

thanks !

Edited by JCB

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like its impossible to render passes like indirect specular with the IPR using a sphere with attached constant shader and hdr image.

Its obviously that now everything lighting is indirect, but why is it impossible to get these passes? Is there any workaround ?

It looks like its impossible to render passes like indirect specular with the IPR using a sphere with attached constant shader and hdr image.

Its obviously that now everything lighting is indirect, but why is it impossible to get these passes? Is there any workaround ?

PBR supports a ton of Deep Rasters (Render Passes).

Please see the following sections in the Help:

Setting up physically based rendering.

Rendering extra image planes (deep rasters)

PBR supports a ton of Deep Rasters (Render Passes).

Please see the following sections in the Help:

Setting up physically based rendering.

Rendering extra image planes (deep rasters)

well, I know that and these help entries do not help me in any way !