upres for particle fluids?

rodpacker

Hi guys,

I'm in need of creating some "heavy/high res" particle fluid sims with no time to simulate them, so I am looking for cpu inexpensive ways of increasing particle count before meshing.

I have tried a few things like copy stamping or the point sop, but even using rand-values for the copies makes the copies look too uniform (maybe I just didn't use the right generation algorithm?!?!).

Has anybody had any success down this road? Any help appreciated

My next thought is to use something like the new UpRes-node, but the manual suggests that node only works on voxels?! Is there a way of using it for particle fluids?

thanks a lot for your help

cheeers

rodpacker

The uprez I believe doesn't work on SPH, but you can distribute your SPH sim fairly well, so you can essentially run a much higher sim with a few machines.You should definitely watch over this video to get an idea on how to set it up, near the end is where Jeff shows you how to.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1516&Itemid=216

The uprez I believe doesn't work on SPH, but you can distribute your SPH sim fairly well, so you can essentially run a much higher sim with a few machines.You should definitely watch over this video to get an idea on how to set it up, near the end is where Jeff shows you how to.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1516&Itemid=216

Hi Rick,

thanks a lot for the tip, I will definitely have a look into this! I've been looking for a info on the topic :)

While this very promising for future projects, license limitations bind me to one machine on this project.

Is there a decent looking way of "faking" higher particle count by e.g. copystamping the simmed result? The closest I've come is resimming the same simulation with slightly different jitter seed settings and then merging these cached sim files together before meshing, but I am still thinking copy-stamping with a decent algorithm should get at least similar results. Just haven't come up with one of these yet :(.

Has anybody here gone down this route? Any ideas?

thanks a lot

rodpacker

Hi Rod,

The different seed approach you mention is a good one.

Though, instead of re-doing the entire simulation in DOPs, try just taking the velocity field, and using that as an advection in POPs.This allows you to run as many parallel simulations as you want, with out all the expensive overhead of recalculating all the sim math.

cheers,

-j

Hi Rod,

The different seed approach you mention is a good one.

Though, instead of re-doing the entire simulation in DOPs, try just taking the velocity field, and using that as an advection in POPs.This allows you to run as many parallel simulations as you want, with out all the expensive overhead of recalculating all the sim math.

cheers,

-j

Hi Jacob,

thanks a lot for your suggestion. Sounds very interesting!!

Unfortunately I am still quite a newbie to Houdini and the good ol' "Tab"-menue didn't allow me to put down a velocity field node in the PoP-Net of the particle fluid object. Could you by any chance walk me through this a bit more in depth please?

thanks a lot for you help

cheers

rodpacker