detail attribute and copy stamping

itriix

Hi everyone,

I was just going through a tutorial on creating a light wrap vex shader. Anyways, by adding a spare parameter on a sphere geo node, you can control the wrap attribute of the shader... so if you copy and paste the sphere, you can change the wrap attribute of the shader per object... and of course this works for per point/primitive/vertex...

Well anyways, *thinking procedurally*, I decided instead of creating 4 spheres in obj level for example, i'd rather just use one sphere and use copy stamping, to create 4 spheres... *or however many, with individual offset built in*, I would then control the "wrap" attribute, using a stamp expression, so that each sphere would have their own wrap attribute. At the first couple tries, I could not get a working result. the network consisted of a sphere, attribcreate and a copy node. the attributecreate was set to NAME: wrap, class: DETAIL, type: FLOAT... and the VALUE was set to my stamp expression so that each sphere would get a wrap value.

WELL, after playing around, wondering why it wasn't working *correctly*, the SPREADSHEET, seemed to be a good place to look... and i noticed, in the DETAIL section, there was only 1 value... not 4... *one for each sphere*. now i remembered back to how DETAIL attributes work, *especially remembering about the expressions lessons", and remem that it's a PER OBJECT attribute... I tried to look it up in the help files, and on the forums a bit more, because here is my question:

IS the reason the copy stamping didn't produce a different result for each sphere because even though there were four spheres due to the copy node, they are all considered ONE OBJECT? and the DETAIL attribute is an OBJECT attribute?

The results DID work correctly by simply changing the attributecreate to POINT, PRIMITIVE or VERTEX.

So, I think I understand it correctly but before I lock it down as *100 percent*, i'd like to have verification :)

please, any thoughts and comments are welcome

Thank you,

Jonathan