HOT and Dynamics

roughsporty

I have created a HOT Ocean animation and I want to place a buoy on the ocean surface which should float around with the motion of the waves.

Additional parameters like damping and moving forward the buoy would also be great. Is there something out of the box as a starting point?

Thanks

I'd use a combination of the Sticky Object and a couple Lag CHOPs.

In the attached file I've used the Sticky to position my buoy in uv space on the ocean grid. I then override the position and rotation in the CHOP network using Lag CHOPs working on the Sticky's transforms. Using the lag you can control lag and overshoot One controls position, for bobbing up and down, and the other rotations for side to side.. The lower the values, the more rigid and exact the buoy follows the surface. Increasing the values gives you more bobbing around as bigger waves come along. You can also animate the UV values to move your buoy along if you'd like.

I've never used HOT before, so I'm just using a CHOPs deformed grid but I imagine it's the same result.

buoy.hipnc