white swann´s growing cotton candy

dyei nightmare

after watching this video from gnomon, i was wondering if the growing cotton candy effect that you cant see there, is it posible to do it in houdini... yeah, with iso ofset and volume tools but, the cotton candy is more dense than volumes, at least what i ve seen... but maybe tweaking some shaders??

i saw something like the effect from some guy that did something similiar, but again, volumes dont look as "dense" as cotton candy looks.

anyone has some ideas, or examples of this effect in houdini?

this is an exercise from other guy in some thread i saw long time ago, but the look is more like gas, not cotton, so, how could it be done to apear more solid, more "cottonish" more like cotton candy?

download here: http://dyei.sabotage.ws/cottonwool_440.hipnc

Edited by dyei nightmare
  • Downvote 1

Very cool example :).

Perhaps with fur. As that can generate very densy hairy looking structures. On top of that the fur is a dso, which generates the geometry at rendertime, allowing you to add huge amounts of detail. The droplets would be done with particles/metaballs. With fur you can deform the furm with your shaders, so you can animate it (deformation).

Or instancing lines (little clusters of lines like little cotton balls) onto pointclouds generated from points scattered in a volume.

In Eetu's lab thread he advects particles by the inverse gradient of a volume:

If you keep doing that long enough and set your line to be thin and a bit transparent you will get puffy wire shapes (you might have to kill particles that go to far outside the volume, and spawn a few new ones occasionally).

wow thats an exelent exercise in cotton creation, sam, congratulations, and thanks petter claes you give me some ideas, and your link was very usefull, and congrats mightcouldb for particpating in that video, thanks to all, i will be making some tests :D

Edited by dyei nightmare

• 3 weeks later...

how would you make the cotton candy effect?

using fur?

yes, the eetu way could be ok for a general shape, but a cotton andy has millions of hairs, and generate them in viewport one by one using curves it's not possible.

maybe using fur could be the way to go..

anyway I find rendering fur in houdini is terribly slow, so I didn't investigated on how exactly the fur cvex node works :P . I think it needs a surface for grow curves from, I don't think it can generate curves from generic curves shapes.

How can I do to calculate the light dispersion inside of the puff?? point clouds probably.. or depth map from volume?

the volumetric way could be good for far distances i think, but it laks of the "surface" details.

Anyone has ever tried to replicate cotton candy?

MAYBE the cluster_this otl could help, but still I can't make it works :(

Edited by MENOZ

tomorrow I'll kick off the animation for rendering. It is indeed kinda slow, because of shadow maps mainly... and you need those to get that depth in there.

The animation needs more work, but the look is getting closer.

Have fun learning from the hip, there's lots of stuff to explore :).

post-1666-126921901519_thumb.jpg

cotton_puff_05.hipnc

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

tomorrow I'll kick off the animation for rendering. It is indeed kinda slow, because of shadow maps mainly... and you need those to get that depth in there.

The animation needs more work, but the look is getting closer.

Have fun learning from the hip, there's lots of stuff to explore :).

thanks a lot peter claes, you are teh man, but i have a little problem, i cant get it to work, i mean when i render it, it just looks like is generating some geometry in some non existant folder in my machine, then... at the end the render is just black... just an alpha channel...

why could this happen? what i need to do to be able to render it.. somebody could help?

You need to make sure you have some of those caches rendered to disk before rendering your image. Also you'll have to adjust the paths to match your directory structure.

It's been a while since I had a look at this scene. Since then my computer broke and got fixed again :). I'll see if I can dig up that animation too.

Although I just moved house and haven't got internet yet.

• 3 weeks later...

sam.h,

I was just wondering what the vopcop2gen1 is doing. It looks like a cellular pattern that is used to adjust density in the cloud but I can't find where it is being refferenced for usage. Is the vopcop output being used at all? I was just really interested in what was going on with that.

David.

something like this?

post-4420-126720669967_thumb.jpg

Use the contrast in the shader to make the volume 'edge' more solid ...

• 1 year later...

hi, peter after almost one year, im returning to this subject, and in houdini 5.0.81 the loading of bgeos, and the render take soo long, is this normal? should this take so long?

like half hour of this:

ding geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:166 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:74 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:260 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:225 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:190 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:292 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:177 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:210 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:27 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:101 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:44 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:145 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

file procedural: /obj/cotton_puff_load_1:/obj/instance_render:263 loading geometry E:/d/houdini/DELAYED LOAD/ca/cotton_puff_1_1.bgeo

Edited by dyei nightmare