Possible Sprite with Delay load??

efx

This is my first post here.

And I have a question about delayed load.

I think as you all already know that the delayed load is the way to go in many case mostly for production use.

My question is quite simple.

Can I use delayed load with sprite?

As long as both shader need to be as procedural shader,

I could not find a way to use them together.....

I am not good at writing shaders and staff instead good at drinking beers and stuff :D

So If someone knows how to do, Please share the knowledge!!

Edited by efx

A sprite is a VRAYprocedural already. Which means it will generate the geometry at rendertime. I do not know if it works exactly like delayed loads in terms of memory useage, but I would think so. -> No raytracing or the geometry is kept in memory.

So basically it does not really make sense to try to "delayed load" a sprite, because it is already a procedural.

All that a sprite is, is a plane facing the camera with a certain orientation applied to it.

So in that sense you could rebuild your own sprites with an instancer. Instancing a simple grid and modifying the shader with the instancepoint().

in regards to loading delayed loads with that instancepoint() expression, this file might help you to set it up:

I haven't used sprites that often anymore, because you might as well instance delayed load volumes, which will give you much ritcher lighting and object interaction (no hard clipped intersection as with sprites).

A sprite is a VRAYprocedural already. Which means it will generate the geometry at rendertime. I do not know if it works exactly like delayed loads in terms of memory useage, but I would think so. -> No raytracing or the geometry is kept in memory.

So basically it does not really make sense to try to "delayed load" a sprite, because it is already a procedural.

Generally doesn't, practically does a lot... We just had a couple of "sprites scenes" with lots of particles + attributes controlling sprites' shader. We easily wend beyond 1GB for a single ifd and +5min for its generation (full quality rendering took like ~2min). This was yet another occasion I was thinking about combining many procedurals... :(

Hmm, that's right, the instancer saves it in the ifd. Nasty, as every single render tweak you make requires ifd generation.

Much better to load the points from disk and generate everything based of that. Way faster as your procedural only contains a single link to that pointcloud on disk (you still need to cache that).

f*ck, if only I had a bit more time (and internet at home... soon :) ). I want to help blow the HDK right open to people so they can use it. There is sooo much potential in rendertime geometry and it really is not that hard... What can be hard is to get started all by yourself.

I hope to create my own TD blog, with vimeo videos and release a new set of video tutorials. Work is busy at the moment. But I feel I just want to get the knowledge out there and I can't seem to get around to it - this is so frustrating.

But my instancer can do what most people want it to do - even if it might be a bit hacked together and will need to be changed with the HDK updates houdini 11 is bringing.

It would handle sprites fine. I've recently rendered 200000 fish with it at home with 8 gigs of ram.

I'll see if I can release it in it's current state and perhaps put it on vfxtoolbox and/or the exchange.

Thanks a lot you 2 guys. I've learned a lot from you guys.

And I appreciate that posts covered my question pretty good.

Yeah I kinda know it doesn't make sense.....

And Thanks pclaes about instancing.

Actually, I tried them and why I wanna use sprite instead is for "Saving Time".

I mean I need save time even for caching out bgeo which also for writing out ifd.

Its sad and it sucks......

So I was wondering about sprite with delayed load possible??

Thanks SYmek, I guess I got almost same situation you'd got.

But again thanks guys,

I got it.

Hmm, that's right, the instancer saves it in the ifd. Nasty, as every single render tweak you make requires ifd generation.

Much better to load the points from disk and generate everything based of that. Way faster as your procedural only contains a single link to that pointcloud on disk (you still need to cache that).

f*ck, if only I had a bit more time (and internet at home... soon :) ). I want to help blow the HDK right open to people so they can use it. There is sooo much potential in rendertime geometry and it really is not that hard... What can be hard is to get started all by yourself.

I hope to create my own TD blog, with vimeo videos and release a new set of video tutorials. Work is busy at the moment. But I feel I just want to get the knowledge out there and I can't seem to get around to it - this is so frustrating.

But my instancer can do what most people want it to do - even if it might be a bit hacked together and will need to be changed with the HDK updates houdini 11 is bringing.

It would handle sprites fine. I've recently rendered 200000 fish with it at home with 8 gigs of ram.

I'll see if I can release it in it's current state and perhaps put it on vfxtoolbox and/or the exchange.

lmao, agree