Houdini GPD library

Ok so after sitting on this for a while I've finally gotten around to posting the Houdini GPD library for reading and writing bgeo files up on SourceForge.

GPD SourceForge

If you make changes to the code mail them to me and I'll update the package.

Hey Simon, is this just a redistribution of the code SideFx provides? or has it been augmented? I guess the point of distributing to sourceforge is to make it easy for developers to support the file format?

Its just a redistribution at present, I was asked if I would look after it as it were, so it would be great if people wanted to add it to it and we can use SourceForge to keep it all centralised.

I see. I'll take a look, I know I've made changes to my personal copy to make some private functions accessible that I needed.

D

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone manage to compile it on Windows? I am getting these errors:

g:\software\sesi\houdini_gpd_lib\gpd\src\GPD_2DVertex.h(37) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GPD_2DPoint'
g:\software\sesi\houdini_gpd_lib\gpd\src\GPD_2DVertex.h(37) : error C2059: syntax error : ';'
g:\software\sesi\houdini_gpd_lib\gpd\src\GPD_2DVertex.h(39) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GPD_2DVertex'
g:\software\sesi\houdini_gpd_lib\gpd\src\GPD_2DVertex.h(39) : error C2059: syntax error : ';'
g:\software\sesi\houdini_gpd_lib\gpd\src\GPD_2DVertex.h(39) : error C2449: found '{' at file scope (missing function header?)
g:\software\sesi\houdini_gpd_lib\gpd\src\GPD_2DVertex.h(52) : error C2059: syntax error : '}'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\cstdio(25) : error C2143: syntax error : missing '{' before ':'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\cstdio(25) : error C2059: syntax error : ':'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\cstdio(25) : error C2143: syntax error : missing '{' before ':'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\cstdio(25) : error C2059: syntax error : ':'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\cstdio(26) : error C2143: syntax error : missing '{' before ':'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\cstring(19) : fatal error C1003: error count exceeds 100; stopping compilation

Still not luck :( By the way - is it possible to use the Express Edition of VisualC 2005? I am also unable to compile the examples that ship with H9 Vc8. For example, the VRay_DemoBox spits out this

g:\software\sesi\houdini\9.1.203\toolkit\include\ut\UT_ArrayHelp.h(36) : error C2054: expected '(' to follow 'inline'
g:\software\sesi\houdini\9.1.203\toolkit\include\ut\UT_ArrayHelp.h(37) : error C2085: 'bumpAlloc' : not in formal parameter list
g:\software\sesi\houdini\9.1.203\toolkit\include\ut\UT_ArrayHelp.h(37) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\sal.h(226) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\vadefs.h(36) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\crtdefs.h(170) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\string.h(25) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\malloc.h(33) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\yvals.h(513) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'std'
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\yvals.h(513) : error C2059: syntax error : ';'
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\yvals.h(513) : error C2449: found '{' at file scope (missing function header?)
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\yvals.h(515) : error C2059: syntax error : '}'
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\xutility(911) : error C4233: nonstandard extension used : '__is_base_of' keyword only supported in C++, not C
C:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\xutility(957) : error C4233: nonstandard extension used : '__is_base_of' keyword only supported in C++, not C
VRAY_DemoBox.c(104) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end-of-file found

Finally I was able to compile GDP :) The problem was that vc was treating all files as c sources, rather than c++. Now the library and examples compile successfully. However, one of the examples is crashing (MakeSphere). It manages to write to the output file only the global point/primitive info - the moment it is about to write the actual points it crashes.

Hey guys!

I'm super new to the HDK, just figured out how to access parameters last night :P I'm looking to read in geometry (bgeo) into a sop's gdp, something like a file node, is this library the way to go?

Thanks!

Alvin

PS: Apologies if I get the terminologies wrong!

Hey guys!

I'm super new to the HDK, just figured out how to access parameters last night :P I'm looking to read in geometry (bgeo) into a sop's gdp, something like a file node, is this library the way to go?

Thanks!

Alvin

PS: Apologies if I get the terminologies wrong!

The greatest reason to have this library separated from the HDK is so you can write BGEO support into your own applications without consuming a houdini license. If you're writing SOPs in the HDK, just use the existing GEO/GU/GB_Detail classes right there.

And best of luck with your HDK adventures!

Jason

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ich have put the files from sourceforge into a VS2010 Solution and after some corrections they to compile and work for ascii files, but bgeo files written by this example code can not be read by houdini 11. Its not a little endian problem and a quick compare between the generated file and a houdini one shows just little differences. In the Data folder are Reference files written by houdini and GPD files written by GPD. I hope somebody has some ideas what could be wrong. Help is very much appreciated

dulo

GPD.zip

I made a new Versio of the Solution now with more example files/projects and its working in debug and release ( old one was just configured for debug )

Tomorrow i will make a VS2008 Version and make some tests with an x64 build. I hope someone can help with the bgeo problem ..