Upgrading GLIBC

Stremik

The reason why I'm asqing this is that I remember coming across

a post on "justlinux" forums awhile ago where someone asqed a similar question. The answer was that many apps and modules would stop working.

From my point of view, if this was true, it wouldn't be the Linuxlike.

Being in doubt, I decided to confirm it with you guys.

BTW.

Could you please outline the process of how to do it please.

I'm still very new to Linux.

rpm -Uvh ???

I think it may be possible to keep the old one and still upgrade. Gentoo allows this in some cases. Not too experienced with that myself so I don't want to lead you astray. get on one of the linux irc channels. those guys are pretty helpful.

Installation and upgrade is pretty automated on Gentoo and quite unlike any other linux distro, so the procedure would not be the same. Given glibc is such a core component in linux I personally wouldn't want to play around without checking it out thouroughly. I'd recommend gentoo to anyone but if you must keep rh7, go right on ahead. On a hunch I believe the most you would need to do is upgrade or reinstall some of the dependent software, but please don't take my word for it

Houdini should work just fine with rh8, Works fine with 9 too- was using it before i switched to gentoo. If you can get your hands on gentoo, give it a try. Teaches you a lot about how linux works. I'm a newbie myself and gentoo has helped me come to terms with linux, dare I say even tame it to some extent, Besides I've never gone this long without needing to reinstall linux :D

That's it!

I'm curious.

I'm gonna install "Gentoo"

Tell me tho, which one do I need? I looked at an FTP mirror and found

multiple distros. "athlon-xp", "basic", "i686", "pentium3", pentium4", "x86".

Certanly I understand that both "pentiums" are ruled out since I'm have an Athlon

mashine. What about the rest four? Which one is better for me?

Indeed, my question probably sounds dumb but I just want to be shure!

Also. Should I get the distro from folder called "livecd" or "stages"?

All right. First problem.

I can't login to "Live CD". :unsure:

I type passwd root at the prompt and enter a new password but it doesnt' let me proceed with installation

giving me some lame explanations like "password not long enough" or "not enough different caracters in password" etc. I'm shure I do something wrong here.

tallkien, can you help me out here please?

That's normal. For security reasons, most Unix systems require passwords that are not prone to easy guessing. For "password not long enough", make sure that you've picked something that is around 6-8 characters in length. For "not enough different characters in password", make sure that you don't have repeating characters or at most two characters which are the same.

Some tips I've used in the past are:

- Use some digits

- Pick a phrase and use the first letter of each word

Holy crap!

Just read the instructions how to install Gentoo.........

It's scary!

Oh well. I have the whole night ahead of me.

Is there ainy advices/tricks you wanna give me before I plunge myself into

death leap?

(Damn, I'm gonna enjoy it!!! :) )

Holy crap!

Just read the instructions how to install Gentoo.........

It's scary!

Oh well. I have the whole night ahead of me.

Is there ainy advices/tricks you wanna give me before I plunge myself into

death leap?

(Damn, I'm gonna enjoy it!!! :) )

If its any consolation it took me 4 attempts to get it right, Some thing or the other would go wrong. But on the upside each time I learned something new about the voodoo of linux. Its been thouroughly worth it :D

• 2 weeks later...