Bounding Box

renderfan

I am looking for way to find minimum bounding box of geometry because i want to reorient the geometry to best orientation. For this i would like to use bounding box. I found Oriented Bounding Box in Bound-SOP but this does not work allways right. For example if i have box or simple geometry and want best bounding box then it produces sometimes not very good result.

Sorry for so many questions.

Some SOPs(like Transform) have the $XMIN, $YMIN and $ZMIN local variables to get the minimum bounding box of the input geo.

Theres also the bbox function which you can use to get bounding box information. I think you use it like this :- bbox("surfaceNode", D_XMIN) to get the minimum X of the bounding box.

Im not sure if these methods will return a better bounding box than the bound SOP though. I havent played with any of this too much.

Dear rich-lord thank you for reply!

I think i must be more clear with what i want. I know about the expressions to get min or max of bounding box but i search for Bounding Box with minimum volume. The Oriented Bounding Box Sop does not allways output good result. For example with some 2D-Shapes i have problems. How can i improve this?

Thank you very much!