Houdini export

ZenFu

is .ase a geometry format? I can't find anything in Houdini about it...but if it's geometry then you can export a bunch of different formats (including obj) and use something else to convert to ase

btw - the apprentice edition shouldn't be used for modeling > export geometry > use geometry comercially

ASE is a Max thing. It's a Max ASCII format. I think it's actually depreciated in Unreal now. You can export OBJs for Houdini which UnrealED Should support. The other option is to write a command line program that reformats a .geo file into ASE which would not be difficult to do at all.

The other option is to write a command line program that reformats a .geo file into ASE which would not be difficult to do at all.

I always wandered how these things are done. Do you have to be a hardcore

coder to undertake such task?

Can you point me to someplace on the web where I coud find info about it?

Actually it's really simple, and I mean really simple to do something like this. I do this sort of thing all the time, at least I used two when I was making games. Haven't had much reason to program lately.

All you need is a compiler and an editor and you can get both of those for free. GCC is free for both Linux and Windows, or if you're on Windows and want something more friendly you can get a copy of Visual Studio or Borland C/C++. You don't need the full blown Enterprise edition or whatever, you can use the cheapo $99.99 version. You'll probably learn more using GCC, because you'll be forced to do a lot of extra work for yourself, however if you want something easy to use on Windows, just get a copy of Visuall C++.

Then all you need to do is learn to program. Sounds difficult but it's not. It's difficult to become competent enough to say, write character tools for a software like Houdini :o , but to write little useful commandline, or even Windows utilities with GUI's is a piece of cake. I'm not a good programmer, but after reading just a book or two on programming I was able to write simple tools for myself.

Some good books

C for Dummies Volume 1 and 2. Don't laugh. These were actually my first C programming books and I think they are very very good. There's lot's of poor attempts at humor in them, but the information in them is solid and crystal clear for beginners. These are good, but other Dummies books, like Visual C++ for Dummies, are complete crap.

C++ From the Ground Up. This is a no-nonsense guide to programming in C++ for beginners. I highly recommend this book. Just reading this alone will give you enough information to start writing commandline tools.

Windows 2000 Programming from the Ground Up. I liked the above book so much I bought this Windows version and it's also very good. This one will tell you everything you need to know to start writing Windows programs with the Win32 API, so you can start putting interfaces on your tools. Also useful if you want to start writing plugins for Maya or Max or whatever. There may now be an XP version of the book, if not, this one is still applicable to XP. You should read a book on C++ before hitting this one though.

C++ How to Program. This one is pretty much required reading, but it is intermeddiate though so you may want to start with one of the above books first.

C++ the Complete ReferenceThis is just a really handy book to have when you start writing your own software. It's not something you can read through, save the first couple of chapters, but very useful when you need to look something up.

Assembly Language Step by StepYou don't want to learn how to program in ASM, no one does, however I recommend this book because of the first couple of chapters. They are an overview of how computers and software actually work, and I found them very enlightening. I highly recommend you go down to a bookstore one afternoon and at least read through the first few chapters.

There are plenty of other books I could recommend, but I think these are really good to start with. Once you learn to program, you can start picking up books like Effective C++ or More Effective C++ or books on STL and MFC. Really though, just working through a good beginners programming book and a book on Win32 API or Linux programming is enough to get you writing utilities for yourself. Once you learn to program writing a tool that reformats a text file will be something you can do in a matter of a few hours or a day or two.

:wacko::blink::lol::wub:

All right.... A see now. My question was a little raw.

I really thought the answer would be something like: get some librarie,

a compiler, type "blah" at the prompt, voila!

No easy ways.

One thing makes me feel better though. I'm already on the outlined by you path

and about a fiew years ago I've got past the "Get C for Dummies Volume 1 and 2" step. I guess it's abot time to start reading it! :D