Modelling in VEX

Stremik

i am lead to bleve that Vex sops cannot add points. it is in the beginning of the description about what vex "is" and what it "is not!" and it says no adding of points.

But enough of my regurgitation of info time for some copy and paste!

What is VEX not?

While VEX is a very powerful alternative to C++ it is not designed to replace the HDK in all situations. There are limitations in VEX and the user is cautioned not to expect VEX to solve all their problems.

For example, the VEX Surface Operators currently can only modify Point attributes. While this is a huge amount of power, it is limited in that it does not allow you to affect Primitives.

Likewise, the VEX Particle Operators cannot be used to create particles, only modify their attributes.

It probably isn't an approach you will want to use in this situation but it's worth remembering that although you can't create geometry with VEX you can supply geometry that is then transformed to the correct place. One of the craziest bits of VEX i ever wrote was to make convex hulls, I just fed the VEX sop a whole bunch of triangles in the first input and a reference piece of geometry in the second, then just used VEX to move the triangles to where I wanted them. It's a lateral approach that is sometimes quite useful.

:ph34r: