fuzzball - how to

There is actually no skin shading to speak of at the moment.

I have a skin surface underneath that's basically a very dark clay shader. Once I have the texture painted then I'll probably use that.

The good thing about a horse is that the hair is pretty short and very close to the skin, so you hardly ever see the skin unless you go up close and move the hairs about. Cleverly, I won't be doing that :).

Although I'm going to have to come up with something for the eyes and mouth.

Ciao

M

14193[/snapback]

Hi Mark (i'm new with houdini )

I managed to have a furryball with the scatter SOP but a mess a bit to get COLOR information from my BALL uv to my line SOP (the objet i use for fur)

can you share or explain a bit

Thanks

Benco

post-726-1097182419.jpg

There are two methods you can use to get colour information onto your hair.

The first, and easiest would be to assign colours to the points of your geometry before the scatter. Append an attibute SOP after the scatter and rename Cd to diff. Make sure you turn on "copy template point attributes" in your copy SOP.

Apply your shader SOP after the copy SOP and most shaders will pick up the diff attribute and use it as the colour.

The second way, which is the way I'm doing it, is to write your own shader. I'm using the hair rendering code that Mario supplied early on (thanks Mario :)) but adding some of my own VOP's to get the colour.

To use the uv parameters of the ball I rename the uv's to something else (using the attribute SOP). I called mine uv2, but you can call it Norman for all the difference it will make, I also promoted my attributes to point atributes (since I'd initially assigned them as vertex attributes).

Inside my VOP network I just put down a vector parameter VOP and call it uv2 (or Norman). I then split the vector into 3 floats and put those into the s and t of a "texture" VOP. put that into your diffuse, and voila..

Once I've finished all my testing then I'll put together a hipfile with everything packaged nicely to demonstrate the techniques.

Hope this helps

M

Hi marc

thanks for your explanation, i managed to get it too and i try to get it work with renderman and houdini capabilities...

i would like too know what do you use to drive the normal (comb your fur ) the way you want , brush tool ,texture files .....

and i woud like to ouput some values (like fur information)to a file to growth the fur with a DSO at render time ......

and thanks again ....

Benco

Houdini 7.0.192 , Rernderman

post-726-1097564365.jpg

• 10 months later...
Hi marc

thanks for your explanation, i managed to get it too and i try to get it work with renderman and houdini capabilities...

i would like too know what do you use to drive the normal (comb your fur ) the way you want , brush tool ,texture files .....

and i woud like to ouput some values (like fur information)to a file to growth the fur with a DSO at render time ......

and thanks again ....

Benco

Houdini 7.0.192 , Rernderman

14264[/snapback]

Hello Benco , Marc.

Is it possible to post an example file of your furry ball scene? I want to replicate the scene, but I don't know the parameters used. I only see the OP's in the picture. (what's in the edit1, group1, etc...?)

I want to render hair and these seem good starting examples.

Many thanks and best greetings,

bernard