Venus Temple, Flip simulation + whitewater. Bubbles question.

Flip simulation + RBD temple
around 60 mil flip + 50 mil at the peak foam+spray +bubbles

pass: houdini

any suggestions how to make it more dynamic?

Flip simulation + RBD temple 
around 60 mil flip + 50 mil at the peak foam+spray +bubbles 

https://vimeo.com/153490031 
pass: houdini 

any suggestions how to make it more dynamic? 
I will of course add camera shake in post and move camera.
and ocean waves on top of flip.

Now the simulation is 300 frames.
I think I will bump it down to 240 and make Venus statue drop faster.
Also forgot to check stick on collision at the time when i was writing out flip.
SO gonna run this simulation again.
Just wanted to ask for some suggestions because want to make it better before spending 3 days on writing this out to disk.

Amends that I`m going to make now:
* check stick on collision
*maybe bump down velocity smoothing a bit so it\s more dynamic
*extend the foam life, so it stays longer
*bump down drag force on spray

Also wanted to ask about bubbles particles.
Is there any way to simulate them but not write out to disk ?
they take more than half of all the whitewater, but I\m not gonna use them.
If I cancel bubbles at all, then I get less foam particles, because when bubbles reach the surface they turn to foam, if I understand that correctly.

Regarding bubbles, if my memory serves, it creates a separate group with them (or that group can be enabled, I don´t have Houdini in front of me right now). That allows you to erase just the bubble group before caching them if you wish to do so.

As for making a more dynamic shot...frankly...I would start with the camera,heh. The camera angle is dull and makes the shot looks flat so you´re favouring your sim. This way it looks small and boring even if the sim is right.

Regarding bubbles, if my memory serves, it creates a separate group with them (or that group can be enabled, I don´t have Houdini in front of me right now). That allows you to erase just the bubble group before caching them if you wish to do so.

As for making a more dynamic shot...frankly...I would start with the camera,heh. The camera angle is dull and makes the shot looks flat so you´re favouring your sim. This way it looks small and boring even if the sim is right.

Thanks for the reply, Netvudu

Camera is not animated. It`s just a preview. Of course there`s gonna be camera movement!

Problem with bubbles is that: yes I can delete particles afterwards, because it separates whitewater in groups. but when I`m writing out the cache with rop output driver node and just unchecking bubbles I get less foam and less spray, which in my mind means that bubbles are not only not written out but also not simulated.

To make it more dynamic I would try to get the water displacing and turbulating before the temple bursts through, as if the temple is pushing the water that is above it up as it rises. I agree that reducing the velocity smoothing will help give you some by breakup and interest but you could perhaps add some extra vortex confinement in some areas to push the swirling even more, using the 'gasVortexConfinement' node.

Having more breakup in the flip sim will give you more detail in the whitewater naturally but I would also add some variation in the splash particles. Currently as the temple surfaces the splash is very uniform in its velocity, I would try add some areas where it splashes up higher to add a more dynamic feel and emphasise it breaking the surface.

Cheers Jake.

Thanks for advice, Jake.

Played around with gasVortexConfinement. adds the swirl and looks better. Didn`t know about this node as I just started learning houdini. Thanks.

You are definitely right about the uniformity at the beginning. 

I think I could add some rotation in Temple animation when it raises up.

That could help the shot as well.

Edited by cudarsjanis