Particles shader with displacement

Hi! I'm trying to obtain a displacement noise on the particles surface, but I can't do it if I'm rendering particles as point, and if I use the copy with a sphere it start eating a huge amount of memory. Is there any other solution?

Thanks!

Marco

there are two things (at least) that will definitely help:

1) Point Instance procedural - will instance geometry on points at rendertime. very efficient for heavy rendering. 

2) Share Displacements Between Instances - mantra will share a single copy of the displaced geometry between all instances so memory stamp is greatly reduced in most cases. limitation is that you can't vary displacement per instance.

• Like 1

if you toggle on "packed geometry before copying" in your copy, it'll do instancing for you (the point instance procedural is a few more steps than that).  the displacement would still be problematic, so #2 above still stands.

you could also just use geo for your displacement.  if you need it to vary, use $F as a seed for whatever randomization you do.  then toggle on "stamp" in your copy sop and use a timeshift on your copy source to pick from some some set of frames (like 1-100) for your stamp point number. prolly should toggle on "cache stamping geometry" as well in the copy sop.

• Like 1

Well, using the instance node, importing the particles and overriding the material's attribute gave me the lower memory usage, maintaining all the attributes needed, as Cd rough orient ... really powerful!!! The memory was like 20GB rendering ... now it's less than 2GB! Great! :)

Thank you so much guys!