What is the UDIM / Multi UV workflow in houdini

The syntax for UDIM files is filename%(UDIM)d.ext where %(UDIM)d takes the place of the frame number. So if you had image1001.exr, image1002.exr, it'd be image%(UDIM)d.exr.

The texture fields in the principled shader accept this format, and if you're writing your own shader, the Texture VOP has a parameter to expand UDIM sequences which you'll want to enable.

• Like 4

On 5/14/2016 at 7:53 PM, malexander said:

The syntax for UDIM files is filename%(UDIM)d.ext where %(UDIM)d takes the place of the frame number. So if you had image1001.exr, image1002.exr, it'd be image%(UDIM)d.exr.

The texture fields in the principled shader accept this format, and if you're writing your own shader, the Texture VOP has a parameter to expand UDIM sequences which you'll want to enable.

Thanks!

But what if I am using and arnold standard shader?

• 9 months later...

I am very new to houdini and am texturing a very large (to scale) cement structure and the UV's are in four UDIM spaces.  They are file named: ramp03diffuse.Base.1011, ramp03diffuse.Base.1012, ramp03diffuse.Base.1013, and ramp03diffuse.Base.1014

"The syntax for UDIM files is filename%(UDIM)d.ext where %(UDIM)d takes the place of the frame number. So if you had image1001.exr, image1002.exr, it'd be image%(UDIM)d.exr."   this is likely very straight forward to anyone who is more experienced.

When I created my tiff's in Mari it exported the four files named exactly as above.  I have tried a number of variations in the naming, (not having dots, 1001 to 1004 instead of 1011 to 1014).  I understand that the four numerals represents the udim space. . . .etc.  Can someone help me figure this out?  I'm getting a headache!

Very much appreciated,  Tony

Hey Tony,
You don't change your texture names - this is the pattern you use on the shader texture fields, and you then enable the UDIM expansion on the Texture VOP - from malexander's post above:

On 5/14/2016 at 4:23 PM, malexander said:

Hop that helps,
Matt.