Polygons To Nurbs Coversion?

I can't think of the names but there are tools/software for converting cyberscans to NURBs patches. Not sure how they do it though. The fine detail is then added back with a displacement shader.

17741[/snapback]

CySlice may be able to do it maybe? In the old days, we tried out Paraform. I'm not sure this still around though.

Thanks guys. I guess there is no easy one-click solution for this. No biggy, I was just playing around with the viewport vex shading and NURBS seems to work best with it. Speaking of that, it would be cool if SESI figured out a way to do hardware acceleration for the vex viewport stuff, because right now it's slow as molasses. :)

btw I noticed converting simple mesh geometry to NURBS in Houdini often won't work. For example:

lay down a default grid

extrude one side of the grid to add an extra row of polys

append a VEX Mountain SOP

and finally convert to a NURBS surface.

Instead of producing one continous surface it converts every individual primitive into its own NURBS patch. If you bypass the PolyExtrude it works as expected. Is there a trick or a secret to this?

It is to do with the order. When you poly extrude all the new points are numbered consequentively starting at 100, this destroys the row column ordering. In the situations where it works notice how the numbering for the edge you have extruded doesn't break this condition.

I can't really see a way round this, the convert would have to do some pretty niffty analysis of your shape to determine that it could convert it to a mesh or NURBs surface successfully.

The only thing you can do is be careful what order you put into the poly extrude and only ever extrude edges where the numbering is continuous, ie doesn't skip from column to column. Or put another way only extrude rows not columns.

Here's an example file where each edge is extruded and converted, notice how I had to jump through some sorting hoops to get it to work.

wacky_Convert_SOP_si.zip