Carry on working during Flipbook generation?

vlb6

Fairly new to houdini..

Is there a way to keep working on your scene whilst generating a flipbook?
Having to wait every time really slows the workflow. Coming from Cinema4D; it has an external preview viewer which runs in the background and allows you to keep working - any such thing in Houdini?

Hi,

Flipbook generation should be fast and you should not wait much! what kind of scene you are flipbooking? you could also lower the resolution of the flipbook (e.g. 500x500), disable any LUTs, motion blur, depth of field,...just right click on flipbook and adjust these parameters...

17 minutes ago, catchyid said:

Hi,

Flipbook generation should be fast and you should not wait much! what kind of scene you are flipbooking? you could also lower the resolution of the flipbook (e.g. 500x500), disable any LUTs, motion blur, depth of field,...just right click on flipbook and adjust these parameters...

Hi Khaled, thanks for your reply,

I've got a fairly simple scene: geometry with VDB advect points + some scatter and trail nodes.
I've got flip book setting on 25% with all extras turned off and it's taking 15mins+ for 200 frames.
This might require a whole separate post but could it be my setup? I'm working on a 4GB Macbook Pro.

Okay :) I don't have much experience with VDB but I think your setup might be heavy to compute. Your Machine also might be slow (4GB is definitely not enough, I used to have 16GB but it was not enough and I had to upgrade to 32GB). Also, this might be related to your graphics card (again not expert, but a slow/old graphics card would slow things down)...Hmm, I think I did not say any thing useful here :) So, I guess it's best if you handle this problem by elimination, first look at your computer memory utilization and see if it's like 90% then you have one problem, try to disable some objects (right click on the blue rectangle at right hand side of the node) and see which one is slowing down performance, and finally, maybe you could disable "trail" node, or "scatter" and see if this helps, Or lower your VDB resolution a lot and see if this helps. Good luck :)

8 minutes ago, catchyid said:

Okay :) I don't have much experience with VDB but I think your setup might be heavy to compute. Your Machine also might be slow (4GB is definitely not enough, I used to have 16GB but it was not enough and I had to upgrade to 32GB). Also, this might be related to your graphics card (again not expert, but a slow/old graphics card would slow things down)...Hmm, I think I did not say any thing useful here :) So, I guess it's best if you handle this problem by elimination, first look at your computer memory utilization and see if it's like 90% then you have one problem, try to disable some objects (right click on the blue rectangle at right hand side of the node) and see which one is slowing down performance, and finally, maybe you could disable "trail" node, or "scatter" and see if this helps, Or lower your VDB resolution a lot and see if this helps. Good luck :)

That's a trick I didn't know - I've just gone through some nodes, mostly VDB, and they really are big in size which might be slowing it down!
I've also been having a lot of pixel flickering on my screen lately, which together with this information is making me think my graphics card could be old/damaged.

Many thanks for your help buddy, very useful stuff!