How To Do Gi In Houdini?

I am a CG student currently learning Houdini and renderman.

How can I activate rman to emit photons if I want to do some colour bleeding render? In mtor, I can use swissArmy to do a series of GI and raytrace stuffs. but how about in Houdini's renderman section? Does anyone know how I can do caustic effects in Houdini's renderman? Where can I find more about it?

Pls help! Any help will be highly appreciated!

There is a tutorial video on how to do GI and all it's related joy. When vislab is back up then dig around there...

You can also look at my cornell box diaries for an idea of what not to do :).

Cheers

M

PS. I don't think you need to preface every post with "I'm a student... ". As far as I'm concerned you're never done learning when it comes to Houdini. You're just a little further back on the journey than the rest of us. :)

Hi!

I tried to generate a photon map for a scene in Houdini's renderman rop. The mmmm.gpm has been generated. But it is a blank image when I tried to view this photonmap with the sho command.

Can someone pls point out what I did wrong on the process of generating a photonmap? What I did was Turning on the "generate photon maps" in the specific section of the "rman" rop. Then I input the number of photons and the gpm file path. I also put a "*" in visible reflection/trace and visible photon. But I still cannot get it working. I also checked the rib file. the photon commands are there.

Hider "photon" "integer emit" [1000000] "jitter" [1]

Attribute "photon" "globalmap" [ "mmm.gpm" ]

Pls help!

Any help will be appreciated!

Threads merged.

Please keep all similar questions in one thread.

Did you watch the GI video?

M

18715[/snapback]

Yes, I watched them all. But they all are using Mantra. I am trying to use renderman. Now I know how to do image based illumination and ambient occlusion in Houdin's renderman. But I still do not know how to generate the photon map through houdini's renderman rop. the .gpm file the I generated cannot be viewed by using sho command. I think it could be somthing wrong with the display command generated on the rib.

thank you for your time anyway!