Wren And Displacement

mark

when rendering an object with a displacement shader using wren, the outline is generated around the original object - it doesnt consider the displacement.

i expected to be able to bake the displacement into the geometry so i tried a Bake VEX SOP but that didnt seem to help. any ideas please?

when rendering an object with a displacement shader using wren, the outline is generated around the original object - it doesnt consider the displacement. 

i expected to be able to bake the displacement into the geometry so i tried a Bake VEX SOP but that didnt seem to help. any ideas please?

20243[/snapback]

the Bake VEX SOP only works with mesh or nurbs, NOT with polygons.

if you choose one of this type you will see the deformation.

with polygons you can use some kind of pointfunction to deform the geometrie.

It should be possible to re written your vex displacement shader as a sop displacement. 90% of it will just be a case of changing the context to sop. Then you can do the displacement direct on the polys, of course you might need to tesselate heavily to get the level of detail you need.

This sort of thing, I think, is best done as a post process. I have some shaders and COPs I put together that may help. If you tell me what version of Houdini you are using and what sort of look you are going for I might be able to provide you with something that works. I can onlyprovide non-commercial OTLs, so if you have a full license you'll have to rebuild them for yourself.

This sort of thing, I think, is best done as a post process. I have some shaders and COPs I put together that may help. If you tell me what version of Houdini you are using and what sort of look you are going for I might be able to provide you with something that works. I can onlyprovide non-commercial OTLs, so if you have a full license you'll have to rebuild them for yourself.

20253[/snapback]

If you build them into a general purpose OTL, then you can upload them to the Exchange then the non-commercial limitation will be removed as a bonus for sharing :) Hooray SESI!

i came about this by accident really. ive got a basic toon effect using wren for an outline and hadnt previously needed an outline on a displaced object. so thanks for the offer of shaders etc. Mcronin but i want to stick to the current effect not that its particularly amazing technically but has a sort of look to it.

This render looks ok now so i'll move on lest getting bogged down but will need to revisit this at which point i might try Simon's solution.. thats very houdini-inpsired thinking - why shade/bake just put the same algorithm into the geometry :)

ill post some stuff soon..

cheers

mark