What's the best collision workflow? (The great collision thread)

magneto

Hi,

Basically there are some overlaps between the collision object nodes where could be configured to act like the other. For instance RBD Object can be configured to act like a Static Object. Is it slower to use RBD Object as a Static Object? It doesn't seem to be.

When you have a large scale destruction, like a building destruction,  I imagine people are using RBD Packed Objects. But the few things that will collide with the building, do you also use packed objects for them or just plain RBD Object?

In each of these object types, it seems like it creates 2 collision geometry, one for bullet, one with volumes. I don't see a way to disable the creation of these collision geometry. Are the volume ones used by solvers like FLIP, Pyro? These solvers do not support geometric collisions?

It would be really awesome if we had a solver x collider matrix showing all types of collisions against all types of solver wrt supporting them.

Hi there!
That's true, not enough informations around about large scale RBDs with DOP, Rbd and Flip interaction recently, would be nice an updated masterclass!

For what I've experienced so far, I found the rbdpackedobject setted as static or including active and static pieces in one unique rbdpackobject setting (i@active==0) to the wanted passive much faster and accurate than the static object, however sometime based on the complessity of the layout model, I used to prefracture a bit with voronoy these compex shapes and pack the new pieces for get a decent convex collission as static rbdpackedobject.

The old static object DOP looks like it's taking care as well of the creation of convex pack pieces per set of connected primitive plus it's able to get a proxy VDB at the same time down the rbd solver tab, the volumes are used manly for Flip and Pyro but those solvers should work also with ray intersect mode or geometry collision. Pyro Flip and Pop don't support yet pack primitive as collision directly so far for what I've tested.

Cheers :) 

Edited by Dam

• 2 weeks later...