VOPs tutorial question

Lukich

Hi. I have a couple of questions. I was playing with the video tutorials about making a VEX with VOPs and there's something I can't figure out - when you make a SOP or a texture of lava, the color of the border is red (green, blue), depending on which of inputs of the vector to float converter you hook up the border parameter of the cellnoise. The rest of the object remains black. How can I control the color of the rest of the grid if the only color input (Cd) is taken by the border color? Also, is there a way to control the color of the border using a Parameter node or something like that, something where I can clearly define what color of the border?

Thanks a lot,

Luka

Okay, I don't have that tutorial up or anything, but here's what I think you could do:

I believe the border parameter just returns a float that's 1 where the border is, and 0 where it's not... so if you connect it to all 3 inputs of the float to vector (you wrote vector to float, but I'm assuming it's the other way around) you should get a white border. now, if you multiply that by a custom vector that has your color, you should get that color on the border.

So, to walk you through it:

connect the border to all 3 inputs of the float_to_vector. append a multiply vop. middle click input2 and click on Create Parameter. Change the type from float to Color. connect the multiply to whatever your float to vector was previously connected to.

You should see now that there's a color parameter in your vex sop. Modifying that should change the color of the border.

As far as changing the color of the inside of the cell, I guess you could take the border parameter, subtract it from 1 (so that the inside is now 1, and the border is 0), then do the same color trick as before, and add the 2 colors, border and inside, together.

Hope that helped,

Snej