Import Obj

Hi,

I have a problem, I'd like to import 500 obj files into houdini. I have an idea of creating a loop which will be executed at every frame. It will put a fileSOP and load the file with the same sufix number as the frame, in which this operation is excuted (Hope you will understand - sorry for my english)

The problem is I don't know where to start :( and even don't know if it's possible to be done...? maybe there is any easiest way...

I have to import that model this way - because it's too big to load it in one pice.

Thanks

Kuba

your on the right track...

just put down a file SOP and point it to a piece of geometry on disc...then opscript the file SOP to see how it's made in hscript...

then build a loop that will create a file SOP for each object you need to bring in (or an object with a file SOP inside for each object...depending on your needs)...

but you DON'T have to do this per frame....if your geometry is a sequence of files just put $F4 in the file name - " myGeoChunk_number44.$F4.obj " etc

this will pull in myGeoChunk_number44.0001.obj on frame 1, myGeoChunk_number44.0002.obj on frame 2 etc etc

HTH

Yeah, what arctor said. :)

An additional note, I would recommend you save out the obj files as .bgeos after you successfully create the File SOP(s) or read them into Houdini. If you don't, Houdini will have to convert the geometry from obj to bgeo everytime you process something. If the geometry is heavy, your processing time may increase substantially.

Good luck!

Cheers!

steven

oh and another thing...your script should bring in everything but turn all the displays OFF...that way your file will actually open :)

26073[/snapback]

That's COOL ! Thanks guys for such a quick response. Here it's the code. Please optimize my lame work...

for i = 1 to 3

# Node file$i

opadd -n file file$i

oplocate -x 0.885435 -y 1.92979 file$i

opparm file$i file ( '$HIP/obj/mesh$i.obj' ) reload ( 0 )

chlock file$i -*

chautoscope file$i -*

opcolor -c 0.7 0.7 0.7 file$i

opset -d off -r on -h off -f off -y off -t off -l off -s off -u off -c off -C on -p on -e on -b off file$i

opcf /obj/model

opcf $saved_path

end

I don't know why, but sometimes the script loads the same file into each fileSOP.... HELP

Is that true if I copy to textport on more line after the "end" the script runs automaticly.

Kuba

Is it a geometry sequence you're trying to read in or multiple files? If it's a sequence, use $F for files named like so: foo1.obj or foo.1.obj. Use $F4 for padded numbers: foo0001.obj or foo.0001.obj

If it's multiple files, you can type the " ` " key (backtick or the key to the left of the 1 key) to select multiple files. In the dialog, navigate to the directory you want, click & select the files you want to import then Accept. Houdini will then create a File SOP for every file you selected. No scripting necessary. :)

Sorry, I don't have time to go through your script at the moment though it looks like it should work. I'll see if I can go through it later.

Cheers!

steven

It works correct now. I just missed backtics before and after $i variable in following line:

'$HIP/obj/mesh'$i'.obj'

and here it is the script:

for i = 1 to 3

# Node file$i

opadd -n file file$i

oplocate -x 1.39412 -y 2.68235 file$i

opparm file$i file ( '$HIP/obj/mesh'$i'.obj' ) reload ( 0 )

chlock file$i -*

chautoscope file$i -*

opcolor -c 0.7 0.7 0.7 file$i

opset -d off -r off -h off -f off -y off -t off -l off -s off -u off -c off -C on -p on -e on -b off file$i

opcf /obj/model

opcf $saved_path

end

I also attach rar file with my little test scene.

thanks for help

kuba

fileSOPloop.rar