Hidden Line Sensitivity Issue

The scale of importeed obj file exceeds hundred times the default houdini viewport settings. In this situation I get weird display effects in any wire shaded viewport. (like the whole mesh was inverted)

I tried to play with hidden line sensitivity but with no success. Only scaling down the model hundred times solves the problem.

I wonder if it is any other solution in a case I didn't want to scale the model down?

thanks

Kuba

How big are you talking here? What are the bounding box dimensions of the object? (Check by middle-clicking the SOP)

There is always a danger of having objects too large or too far from the origin since their positions are represented internally by "float" data and not "double" (double float precision). Warning bells should go off in your head when numbers start to get larger than 10,000 units. Accuracy will start to get eroded away as numbers get bigger.

Also, try setting your Camera Near plane further forward.

Jason.

When importing .obj into Houdini, the normals tend to be inverted so append a Facet SOP to the File SOP then check on "Post Compute Normals".

Also, if you're using a default Houdini scene, the lights are position really close to the origin so either delete the lights or position them to light your geometry properly.

Cheers!

steven

Usually, a near value of 1 should fix the display issue.

If you're not viewing through the camera, type "d" in the viewport, go to the Optimization tab, uncheck the "Automatically Adjust Near/Far Planes when Homing" toggle & set the Near value to 1 as well.

Cheers!

steven