Why no beer tutorial?

marioteodoru

Hello. 

I've been researching this area for a long time. There seems to be almost no info on how to simulate beer in houdini. Why? Is this like a secret? Or is it becouse it's actually very easy to do? Is there any paid tutorial on how to simulate beer in houdini? If not, can anybody make one? How much would such a tutorial cost? 

If there is almost no info how have you been researching this area for a long time? To answer the why no tutorials question, my best guess it that traditionally the strength of FLIP fluids is in doing large scale water simulations and it is easier to do out of the box. Apart from more viscous small scale simulations large water sims is what more people use it for equaling more large scale sim and more large scale sim tutorials. Surface tension out of the box for example is a new feature so you won't have much tutorials on it. 

I am not saying you can't do good small scale fluid like a glass of beer, you can for sure. Its just that the main focus of the community has been geared more towards large scale ocean sim.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zybrand said:

If there is almost no info how have you been researching this area for a long time? To answer the why no tutorials question, my best guess it that traditionally the strength of FLIP fluids is in doing large scale water simulations and it is easier to do out of the box. Apart from more viscous small scale simulations large water sims is what more people use it for equaling more large scale sim and more large scale sim tutorials. Surface tension out of the box for example is a new feature so you won't have much tutorials on it. 

I am not saying you can't do good small scale fluid like a glass of beer, you can for sure. Its just that the main focus of the community has been geared more towards large scale ocean sim.

I am a art director, with almost no math skills. I learned how to use Realflow (beginner) in hopes of doing liguid artdirection. I wasn't able to obtain what i wanted but it took me years to learn RF (as a hobby) Than i hoped that maybe houdini can help me. While i know it's obtainable in houdini, for me, as a total newb, seems impossible. My issue is that i can find a tutorial about almost anything in houdini, for simple beer and foami can find none. When i said i research for a long time (years) i meant that i learn realflow and how to use houdini, and seen tons of tutorials in order to do this. but , still becouse of my poor understanding of houdini nodes, i am not able to build what i need. 

26 minutes ago, marioteodoru said:

I am a art director, with almost no math skills. I learned how to use Realflow (beginner) in hopes of doing liguid artdirection. I wasn't able to obtain what i wanted but it took me years to learn RF (as a hobby) Than i hoped that maybe houdini can help me. While i know it's obtainable in houdini, for me, as a total newb, seems impossible. My issue is that i can find a tutorial about almost anything in houdini, for simple beer and foami can find none. When i said i research for a long time (years) i meant that i learn realflow and how to use houdini, and seen tons of tutorials in order to do this. but , still becouse of my poor understanding of houdini nodes, i am not able to build what i need. 

OK that is fair enough, I thought you were saying that you were researching beer specifically for a long time. I used Realflow before I moved to Houdini haven't used it in a long time though but its SPH liquids are probably better for beer than FLIP. But since this is a Houdini forum I'll stop talking about other software. A good place to start would probably be variable density with using density by attribute in the FLIP solver. Or you could do the foam as a secondary sim after the initial flip sim.

simple_beer.gif.afdef1c8c8c8da9a64639451b34922f6.gif

simple_beer_zj.hip

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zybrand said:

OK that is fair enough, I thought you were saying that you were researching beer specifically for a long time. I used Realflow before I moved to Houdini haven't used it in a long time though but its SPH liquids are probably better for beer than FLIP. But since this is a Houdini forum I'll stop talking about other software. A good place to start would probably be variable density with using density by attribute in the FLIP solver. Or you could do the foam as a secondary sim after the initial flip sim.

simple_beer.gif.afdef1c8c8c8da9a64639451b34922f6.gif

simple_beer_zj.hip

Thank you very much :) this looks great !