Operator Type?

hoknamahn

How can I check a node type from script? I want to check is that object a Shader SOP, Attribute SOP or something else. Or to check the type of subnetwork. I see two solutions:

1. We can name all object type with necessary preffix for example for shops it is shop* (shop_aniso_metal or shop_crystal).

2. We can search the "unique" (for required operator type) parameter say for Shader SOP it can be quicksurface parameter.

First method is ugly and not automated. Other method does not give any guarantees of originality of our "unique" parameter. And it will not work in the case of subnets (they doesn't have any useful parameters in our case).

This is the first problem. Other question is how to determine the type of a shader from script. Is it the Mental Ray shader or PRman shader? Or maybe it is the Mantra shader? Is it the surface shader or shadow?

not sure if this would help but check out optype( ) and optypeinfo( )

Eh! Laziness is a terrible thing. I saw optype() and optypeinfo() before but was lazy to check them (I thought that functions are designed for other type of job). I was wrong. That is what I am looking for. Thanks SpencerL :rolleyes: