Hiroshige Fishcales Shader... Early Version

photex

I've been working out how to shade an object with stylized fish scales such as in the woodblocks by Ando Hiroshige and his contemporaries. Here are some examples:

http://www.nga.gov.au/MonetJapan/Images/LRG/J80.jpg

http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgpp30987+swim...hige-poster.jpg

So far I have the basic pattern down, but anything fancier is still on my todo list (bump, gradients/color, specularity).

There is a bug with it at the moment that you'll see if you play with the repetition parameters. A black line will appear in the pattern and I'm not sure why or what to do about it.

Any comments, nudges in the right direction, and corrections to glaring rookie mistakes are always appreciated as this is my first shader-from-scratch attempt.

Thanks

chip

post-1155-1182799173_thumb.jpg

fishscales_shader_ball.hipnc

Well, here is an update.

I've got the texture looking as I'd imagine and next on the list is bump and specular but I'm going to work on a fish model first I think. rdg helped me clean a couple of things up in the code too. :)

And if anyone checks out the code and has some suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them. :)

_chip

vex_hiroshige.vfl

post-1155-1183139298_thumb.jpg

post-1155-1183139307_thumb.jpg

Well, here is an update.

I've got the texture looking as I'd imagine and next on the list is bump and specular but I'm going to work on a fish model first I think. rdg helped me clean a couple of things up in the code too. :)

And if anyone checks out the code and has some suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them. :)

_chip

Hey Chip!

Very cool! i like blue one. Thnx for sharing.

--------

Carlos

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, a small update added my initial anti-aliasing effort. As mentioned in another thread, there is currently a problem in the areas where the three colors converge but it's not really noticeable until you get up close to the pattern. I'm working on it though.

Until then here is the code.

cheers,

chip

vex_hiroshige.vfl

Got bump mapping working out. Not crazy about the pattern at the moment, but I think it'll come around once I get a glassy sheen over the entire thing. I've also switched from plain diffuse to a blinn specular. This is also not quite where I want it, but I'm learning so it's ok for now.

One of the things that is vexing me (ha!) at the moment is when using bump on polygons. Everything gets faceted. A quick search turned up that computenormal has more than one version, one of which fixes the problem of faceting. However, I'm not sure what it's doing different and how I can emulate it into my RSL version of the shader. Until then my rsl version looks good on non-polygonal geometry.

post-1155-1185060782_thumb.jpg

lofi_fish.vfl

Edited by photex