Sky Dome Setup

Symbolic

Hi,

I have tried to create sky dome setups for Houdini before but was not able to do it. I usually ended up using crappy camera projections and things like that.

Now I have a camera move that covers a large area and does not let me cheat... or I am not able to figure out how to cheat...

How can I create a proper object... that I can later texture?

Most of the UVTexturing techniques create strange results... I have tried the camera projection again but it does not seem to work!

:(

The texture usually gets distorted. What is the technique?... I think the technique varies depending on the materials... If you are using a stitched image or just painting in Photoshop...

Here is the file that I have made some tests:

the *.hip files and textures

Here are samples of the images that I plan to put together:

post-1724-1188784010_thumb.jpg

post-1724-1188784017_thumb.jpg

post-1724-1188784025_thumb.jpg

Here are screens of my setup:

post-1724-1188784260_thumb.jpg

post-1724-1188784267_thumb.jpg

post-1724-1188784273_thumb.jpg

What should be my strategy? Thanks.

Instead of Polar, try using Rows & Columns.

Thanks. That looks much better. I think I have tried that... But something was wrong... now it looks ok.

But still you get that distortion at the center-top of the sphere... how it is possible to paint the sky texture from different images... and map it on that sphere without any distortions...?!

post-1724-1188868967_thumb.jpg

I guess... if the image is coming from a mirror ball... and it is transformed from a "mirror ball" to "Latitude/Longitude ?!" inside HDRShop... and then mapped to this setup... it should work?

or maybe there is a way of just painting the long image with the clouds... without any distortion... and then transfer it to an image that will map on the sphere properly?

...or maybe... one needs a stitched image that is made of lots of separate images and stitched together inside Shake or Realviz Stitcher?...

any ideas? thanks.

Edited by Symbolic

Thanks. That looks much better. I think I have tried that... But something was wrong... now it looks ok.

But still you get that distortion at the center-top of the sphere... how it is possible to paint the sky texture from different images... and map it on that sphere without any distortions...?!

post-1724-1188868967_thumb.jpg

I guess... if the image is coming from a mirror ball... and it is transformed from a "mirror ball" to "Latitude/Longitude ?!" inside HDRShop... and then mapped to this setup... it should work?

or maybe there is a way of just painting the long image with the clouds... without any distortion... and then transfer it to an image that will map on the sphere properly?

...or maybe... one needs a stitched image that is made of lots of separate images and stitched together inside Shake or Realviz Stitcher?...

any ideas? thanks.

I'm not sure that it's possible to have an undistorted image mapped onto a sphere and not have it be distorted. You'd need to distort your image so that it isn't distorted when on the sphere. Maybe a spherize filter in photoshop could accomplish this to some extent?

I use Terragen2 when I make skies as it's relatively quick (rendertime could be better...) to make a really nice sky that maps properly onto a sphere and is HDRI.

ok... i see...

:)

thanks... I really need to explore Terragen or Vue then... but... still I i want to use my photos... then I have to find a workflow that will allow me to work un distorted and then distort for the spheric map...

The only projection that doesn't look distorted on the plane is a cube map (because it is 6 different projections arranged on a single image, whereas lat-long and the rest are all single projections). So you might want to paint onto a cube map version of your environment, although you'll have problems when painting across face boundaries (and the layout, although undistorted, is not all that intuitive for painting).

If you want to modify your photos, then your workflow will depend on what kind of capture method you're using -- probe, 2 fisheye images, stitched panorama, etc.

Here's a nice little project for someone who has the time: write a VEX COP that will pan (re-project) a lat-long, probe, or cube map to any desired orientation. This would allow you to "look at" the section you want to retouch in the least-distorted possible way. Then you can retouch it and pan it back to its original orientation (if needed).

Cheers.

Thanks everybody :)

I will be trying and testing these techniques as soon as I complete my current project... For now... I cam up with the following solution... I exported the UV map of the spheric object... and painted in some distorted images using the WRAP in Photoshop... I bended the images so they look distorted in Photoshop... but kind of look ok in the render...

Again... Thanks for all valuable advices...

• 3 weeks later...

I think what you are asking is how do you correct a pinched area in a panoramic image in photoshop -

look at using the distort - polar coodinates tool, rect to polar, paint the pinched area, than do the opposite polar to rectangle. flip the imahe vertically, and do the other side. you will then get a map that will stretch properly at the poles when using a rows and columns uv method

MD

can I ask, are you doing some kind of huge camera move to require it be projected on a sphere? I'm going to guess your dome doesn't have the same dimensions as the earth, and if you want to scale your scene down so that it does, would anyone ever see that little tiny pinch at the top? The other thought is to have 2 or more domes, the inner domes to hold just clouds, the outer most dome just a flat, or ramped would be better, procedural color, then there wouldn't be any pinching.

just trying to think outside the sphere...

-3db

FX TD

SF/LA CA

Hi,

Yes it is quite a complex camera move that covered a large area... so I needed to have a seamless and big sky...

I have done it... it kind of worked... i will post the results as soon as I complete the project... I did it in an old school way... tried to face a reverse deformation with the wrap tools in photoshop... so when it is mapped on the sphere it looks good... it was a primitive solution... but it worked with the help of motionblur etc...

using segments with different textures... different domes is also a good technique... I have been thinking about it...

thanks for the ideas...

Still you will never get any parallax in the clouds with a single dome, and with a big camera move it will be all the more apparent. I guess it's whether or not you want it to look real.

Yes, you are right... there was not much parallax... but it worked (kind of)... will post the final project as soon as it is polished...

Will also work on all these suggestions in order to create a proper workflow... just do not have time for this right now... trying to survive...