Sign in to follow this  
Nerox

Move point along it's normal

Again I have another, probably, interesting question :P

Can I move every mesh point of an object along its normal? Due to scale without point distance variation.

I'm building a Feather system, and I have some colliding issues. So I was thinking to copy the original mesh, scale this down a little, and copy the feathers to it. Having the original mesh serving purely as a visual dummy.

But if you scale an object from the center of the object the distance between the new and previous point location may vary. That's not what I want so I hope I'm able to move every point along it normal (in negative) for an X distance. I'm pretty sure I need an point Sop, and some how orientate the point translaten axis to it's normal, but that's where I get stuck.

Hope any one can give me a little tip.

Great, thanks!

Or if you want more control, like offset only some areas, you can use a Point SOP and write $TX+$NX*... in each position field.

Tnx! exactly what I initially was looking for :). And a nice addition my current setup.

More and more I'm getting familiar with the process of creating/modifing/using of attributes, extremely helpful. I'll never go back to Maya ;).

I used to work for a Autodesk reseller, back then I was totally pro Autodesk due to several brainwash sessions ;). So from my opinion it's quite a achievement that Houdini totally blow me away and made me willing never to go back.

Good to hear it!:)

You could also use a VOP SOP, and inside that use a "Displace Along Normal VOP" and wire up the outputs. VEX/VOPs is a whole new playground for you too then.

Take care,

Jason

Good to hear it!:)

You could also use a VOP SOP, and inside that use a "Displace Along Normal VOP" and wire up the outputs. VEX/VOPs is a whole new playground for you too then.

Take care,

Jason

Indeed, I've ordered the 3dbuzz's Houdini Fasttrack and technical effects Dvd's. They should give me an basic/interm look at Vex, really can't wait. I've tried some minor things using vex but I couldn't get anything usefull out of it, due to my 'unknowingness' of the nodes functions. Time will cover that, I assume.