Get Eigenvalues from ocean_displace

phong

Hi!

I'm currently trying to get the Eigenvalues from the HOT ocean_displace shader to use in my surface shader to i.e. create some foam patterns. I checked the Export Eigenvalues flag. How do I get these into other shaders?

Thanks a lot!

Phong

Have a look at the 'Import Displacement Variable' in the surface shader VOPs. If you're writing vex code then 'dimport' is what you're looking for.

Cheers

Marc

Thanks for the dimport hint! I just don't know how the eigenvalue variable is named in the HOT ocean_displace shader.

I don't have a Houdini in front of me at the moment, but I'm fairly sure you can wire the eigen into a parameter VOP and call it whatever you like. Just make sure to export it.

Cheers

Marc

Well, I figured out how to get the Eigenvalues into SOP geometry (like in the foamparts example), but I still don't know how to get these values from the displacement shader, since it's precompiled and I cannot open its network to add any further nodes. Otherwise the Export Eigenvalues flag must be sufficient to make easily access these values.

• 2 years later...