Memory leak in mplay?!?!

I am working on the Pinboard tutorial (the one found on Techimage that shows how they did the cool effect in XMen)..

In the beginning of stage 5 of the tutorial I do as it suggests and do a test render by right clicking on the render icon and chosing Mantra. Up pops the mplay window. When I close the mplay window however and try to go back to Houdini I find that its hanging. Looking in the taskmanager in Windows you can see mplay creeping up in memory bit by bit, bloating. I can't kill Houdini until I kill mplay.

This gets pretty tedious obviously. I'm running a Compaq Evo 800W with a Radeon 9000 w/64MB and Houdini Apprentece edition.

I've tried turning off all of the hardware options for mplay, and messing with all its options, but to no avail.

Any environment variables I should have set or workarounds for this?

Well when I close the mplay app the image appears to be fully rendered. I wondered this myself and thought maybe it was rendering the other frames so I limited the range explicitely to 1 to 1 frame, and still it crept up.

When I try a default new scene and add a sphere, it renders in nearly the same time and when it appears done I close it with no problem.

I tried searching the SideFX forum but didn't find much on mplay, do you mean the listserv archives? I haven't tried that yet..

Any other ideas welcome, badly :)

Hey... I've found this too.

Recently I had about 6 rendered images in mplay which I was scrubbing between and mplay was taking up 1.5Gb of RAM.

It was nasty...

I think we should inform SESI of this. I was waiting to see if it happened again before reporting it, but if its happening to other people then it must be a leak (good logic eh? ;))

marc

Yeah I posted over at SESI already, I wish I had kept the same username (benjamin == sharpie) but I registered them sometime apart I believe and forgot... kinda makes it all confusing..

Btw, I have 500MB on my machine, but I never have the leak get that far, afterall I'm rendering a lowresish frame. It seems to start leaking past 15MB and goes upward until I stop it..

Who knows how far it could go.. Only the owl knows..