Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'applied houdini'.
Found 3 results
Hi all, I'm still pretty new to Houdini, but I offered to do my friend a favor by attempting to sim a spaceship crash for his short sci film. It was more of an excuse to learn RBDs in Houdini than anything else, but now that I've invested this much time I really want to make it work. Anyhow, I started with Steven Knipping's Applied Houdini Rigids III Vehicle Destruction course and once I finished that, I tried replacing the supplied helicopter model with a spaceship that I modeled in C4D using a Kitbash kit, so I imagine the geometry shouldn't be an issue. It would appear that I'm very close to getting a workable sim because I got it crashing and denting with the original animation that I set up for the ship. However, I've been running into a bit of a snag if I change the crash animation. For whatever reason, if I move the ship at all to match any of the tracked alembic cameras I was sent, either by changing the keyframes of the crash itself, or even by simply attaching the entire animation to another null and moving it in the scene, the ship totally blows up. You can see what I mean in the last 3 previews found in VFTV\render of the attached project folder. Maybe I'm missing something very basic, but as far as I can tell this shouldn't be happening, as my understanding is that the hard constraints I'm using on most of the ship aren't supposed to break unless I tell them to in the art directed cuts section of the frac SOP. Anyway, the first preview in the VFTV\render folder shows that the sim more or less works with the camera matching but without denting, and the second shows the crash with denting but with no camera matching. But, for whatever reason I couldn't get the source tracked cameras working directly in Houdini, so I took them into C4D first, changed the resolution and alembic camera scale, and exported them at .01cm from C4D, and after that they seemed to line up in Houdini once I changed the camera view resolution to match. However, my troubleshooting brain is telling me that I might've messed something up during this process and perhaps the explosion is due to mismatching scene/camera scale issues with the alembic cameras that the tracking artist sent causing the sim to be calculated differently. I'm not even sure if the C4D camera scale option affects the sim in Houdini and/or C4D, but scene scale certainly does, and if the imported camera scale is messing with scene scale, then maybe that's the problem. That said, I don't think that's the reason, because if I leave the original animation alone it seems to sim fine even with the new cameras. And, I believe I'm matching the scale correctly and using the right conversion which is supposed to be .01cm from C4D to Houdini. I've also messed around with exporting different camera scales and scene scales out of C4D and importing the alembics back into Houdini using several different methods, all with the same result. But, I realize it might help me to know more about which software each shot was tracked in, so I'm double checking with the guy at Framestore, who did the tracks, regarding the scene scale conversions. I was thinking Syntheyes might be different from Nuke for example. That said, I would be eternally grateful if anyone was willing to look at the project and let me know what they think the problem could be. My hope is it's something stupid on my part, and not some overly complex issue. Here's a Dropbox link to a reduced version of the project with all the assets VFTV_Smoldering_Wreckage_1_200813_v001.hiplc
Hi everyone, I recently finished Steven Knipping's Applied Houdini Rigids III Vehicle Destruction course [www.appliedhoudini.com] and I'm trying to figure out how to get my own model working in the network instead of the supplied helicopter model. I want to destroy a Spaceship that I made in C4D using a Kitbash kit, so I imagine the geometry isn't the main issue, but it certainly could be. In this case, the main problem is that some of the pieces don't have thickness. And, instead of adding it in C4D, which is also an option, I thought it would be fun to try and do it procedurally in Houdini using the Game Tools Thicken SOP since the Poly Extrude SOP wasn't really working for me. Anyhow, if I add the thickness using separate loops before the Voronoi Fracture process it seems to work fine. However, some of the pieces that need thickness don't need to be fractured, so I decided to add it to them at the beginning of the network the same way Steven isolated the tanks on the helicopter for the art directed cuts. For whatever reason, this seems to crash Houdini and it's starting to get annoying. It doesn't happen immediately or super often, but it's happening enough that it's slowing down work and I'm worried about it creating a problem that might end up causing me trouble down the line. I'm on a pretty hefty Windows tower, using Houdini Indie, and I just upgraded to the latest Production Build, 18.0.499, to troubleshoot the issue but it's still happening. If anyone has the ability to look at the .hiplc file that would be a big help. I'm attaching the scene file, the latest crash file and the crash log. And, here's a Dropbox link to the model [www.dropbox.com], since it's too big to attach. Thanks a lot, VFTV_200721_v002.zip