pyro explosion

tp-

Hi,

I'm trying to create an effect of a toy soldier exploding.

I've used Johner's explosion tool () to break the model and now I'm applying pyro.

The look I wish to get is similar to the explosion on the SideFX frontpage - the exploding sphere.

I have two pyro (smoke object) nodes in the same DOP network in order to create a central fireball with fire trails coming from a select few shards.

I have a number of problems that I could use some help with:

-I have selected the shards I need and applied a fireball to them. This doesn't give the desired effect because the flames appear all around the shards whereas I would like the flames to follow behind.

-I get odd squares forming in both the fire and the smoke renders.

-The flames look terrible and have very smooth edges though I have rendered with scattering and have applied noise modifiers.

-The two flames overlap and make eachother brighter.

Has anyone in Odland achieved this effect I am aiming for?

fracture_group_and_fireball26.hip

I've managed to eliminate the brightness/overlapping problem by reducing the sim to one pyro tree. I'm now feeding all of the objects into one and I achieved this through grouping (using rbdfractured object). This also got rid of the lack of scattering and noise and things are looking a lot better. I'm no longer getting the odd squares in the renders that I mentioned and I presume this is also because of removing one of the overlapping sims.

The next problem is forcing the fire to emit from behind the flying shards, not all around. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Tom

post-4517-125509348438_thumb.jpg

I've managed to eliminate the brightness/overlapping problem by reducing the sim to one pyro tree. I'm now feeding all of the objects into one and I achieved this through grouping (using rbdfractured object). This also got rid of the lack of scattering and noise and things are looking a lot better. I'm no longer getting the odd squares in the renders that I mentioned and I presume this is also because of removing one of the overlapping sims.

The next problem is forcing the fire to emit from behind the flying shards, not all around. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Tom

try adding point velocities to your shards in sops ( just use the normals even) and turn on Point Velocity under the Advanced tab. That way you can have total control over the initial velocities of your source. Oh yea , and you need way more divisions in that pyro container ;)

Edited by essencevfx

Hello, looks like a lot of fuel emission, and poor simulation quality, maybe if you add more voxels to the container can improve the sim, animate the fuel simulation too, and try to add more substeps to the simulation.

Thanks, I'm worried about adding more voxels though because I left low quality pyro running over the weekend and it got up to frame 17 by Monday :S Thats with 65 uniform divisions.

I've scaled down the size of the container, I presume this will have the same effect as increasing the voxel count but without the gain in calculation time...?

I'll give animating the fuel a go, cheers for the heads up.

try adding point velocities to your shards in sops ( just use the normals even) and turn on Point Velocity under the Advanced tab. That way you can have total control over the initial velocities of your source. Oh yea , and you need way more divisions in that pyro container ;)

Cool, this sounds like what I need, I'll let you know how I get on.

Next problem: odd squares in the render again. I turned on smoke and this happened:

post-4517-125534204745_thumb.jpg

Adding the point velocity has resulted in the simulation looking much better though I haven't tried a render yet.

Animating the fuel looks useful. I want to animate the source in the same way so that I can control how long the shards burn for after the explosion. Can anyone point me to the field I need for this?