Cloud Computing for Artists: Public Beta

robert.magee

hqueue_cloud_main.jpg

Side Effects Software, an industry leader in 3D animation and visual effects software, is pleased to announce the public beta release of new artist-friendly HQueue cloud computing tools. Studios and individuals who are looking for an artist-friendly way to harness the processing power of Amazon’s EC2 compute cloud will now be able to launch renderings and simulations from right inside Houdini.

With access to computers for as little as 50 cents an hour, it is easy to test out the cloud and see what is possible. We look forward to your feedback. Apprentice and Apprentice HD users also have access to the cloud for use in personal projects!!

Come check it out!

So, does this mean that HQueue is available for 64 bit windows now?

The HQueue server software has not been released yet for Mac/Windows. This is certainly a step in that direction but the focus in this release is on HQueue running on the cloud under Linux. You can use an HQueue ROP on Windows or Mac to launch HQueue on the cloud but the server software on the cloud is running Linux not Mac/Windows. The other item of note is that while Apprentice an Apprentice HD do not work with HQueue server they do work with HQueue on the cloud.

Robert

The HQueue server software for your own farm has not been updated yet for Mac/Windows. This is certainly a step in that direction but the focus in this release is on HQueue running on the cloud. The other item of note is that while Apprentice an Apprentice HD do not work with HQueue server they do work with HQueue on the cloud.

Robert

Thanks for the info Robert.

The other item of note is that while Apprentice an Apprentice HD do not work with HQueue server they do work with HQueue on the cloud.

Not sure to exactly gets what that means... Does it mean you can not have hqueue working on a local network but only to acces the render cloud?

Neither ways, I'm looking forward to this for windows. I think it's simply BRILLIANT to be able to do that directly within Houdini and the prices seem fair too. I'll finally be able to render frame sequences using pbr rendering without jamming my computer for days...I'm loving this!!

Thanks!

Not sure to exactly gets what that means... Does it mean you can not have hqueue working on a local network but only to acces the render cloud?

It means that Apprentice or Apprentice HD WILL communicate with HQueue running on the cloud but WILL NOT communicate with HQueue server running on a local farm. Therefore you cannot build a render farm out of many copies of Apprentice HD.