qBend deformer

beeemtee

Hi,

I just finished a deformer called qBend, which is designed after the "bend" nonlinear deformer in maya.

It can be really helpful if you need to bend a sheet of paper, or modeling tubes with round corners etc.

It deforms geometry along a circular arc, and keeps the length of the original in the axis of the deformer.

You can download it from exchange ( http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fileid=670&versionid=670 ).

Enjoy!

bmt

Edited by beeemtee

Hi,

I just finished a deformer called qBend, which is designed after the "bend" nonlinear deformer in maya.

It can be really helpful if you need to bend a sheet of paper, or modeling tubes with round corners etc.

It deforms geometry along a circular arc, and keeps the length of the original in the axis of the deformer.

You can download it from exchange ( http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fileid=670&versionid=670 ).

Enjoy!

bmt

I havent used it yet, but just to know, what is the difference between this bend and the bend included in the Twist SOP?

Thanks for sharing the tool.

I havent used it yet, but just to know, what is the difference between this bend and the bend included in the Twist SOP?

Thanks for sharing the tool.

The bend included in the Twist sop rotates the points of the input geometry around an axis, and the amount of rotation is proportional to the distance of the point from the axis. While the result is a 'bended' version of the original, its usability is rather limited, since the resulting shape is not circular, and the length of the original geometry is not kept. In other words you can't make a circle from a line with it (or torus from a tube), and the resulting curve will be longer than the original.

qBend implements a different approach so it doesn't have these 'problems', and there are some other usability features like the ability to limit the bend independently at the two ends.

cheers

bmt