Separate Shadows

Hi Guy's,

I' m looking for a way to render my scene in different passes.

The main setup that I want to use is one exr that contains the following passes: color, diffuse, occlusion, shadow.

Everything works fine but I see the shadows also in the diffuse pass and I don't want that.

I can make a different take for the shadow pass and render that separately, but then I have 2 exr files. Isn't there a way to have shadows on my shadow image plane and no shadows in my diffuse pass without having to do 2 renders?

All suggestions are welcome.

thx,

c

You can, but it depends the way your shader is builded, you can include the shadow pass inside your shader, the way I do this is copying the contents of the shadowmatte shader inside your actual shader and make a parameter node to export it, personally I prefer to render it separately unless you need something more specific.

I am a little noob with shaders in houdini so I don´t know how to help you with the difuse - shadow stuff, maybe a light loop before the difuse export could help you solve this, I am not sure.

I hope it helps.

Hi Guy's,

The main setup that I want to use is one exr that contains the following passes: color, diffuse, occlusion, shadow.

Everything works fine but I see the shadows also in the diffuse pass and I don't want that.

I can make a different take for the shadow pass and render that separately, but then I have 2 exr files. Isn't there a way to have shadows on my shadow image plane and no shadows in my diffuse pass without having to do 2 renders?

thx,

c

Hi Guy's,

thx,

c

It's perfectly doable, but implies designing your own illuminance() loops, or duplicating every light casting shadows and separating lighting models. If this effort is worth to be undertaken instead of just render second pass with shadow matte shader it's up to you, but I feel it's not. You can always join plates from two *.exr files, after rendering... ;)

Hey guys, thx for the feedback.

I've been looking more at lighting loops this week and it's like you said SYmek, it's not worth the effort in my case.

I already have a script to do the seperate passes but I thought it would be nice & clean to have all the passes in just 1 file.

Still, any information about illuminance loops are welcom because all example's on the web are scene's with only one light.

I don't find any example's with more then 1 light and where they filter out the light they don't need.

Never the less thx again,

c

ps: Michel, in the following link you find an example of scripts that can be used in mantra node. Maybe can come in handy later. Cheers.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=17720&sid=8c260295824228766f1eb876dc02fe23

Hi,

As this topic is about separating shadows, i'd like to hack this thread and ask you guys how could i do to separate the self-shadows, coming from the object itself, and the shadows coming from all the other objects ?

thanks.

You can do that by using renderstate("object:name", curObject) inside of an illuminance loop where you're calling the shadow shader, then compare curObject with the name of the object from which you want shadows. Let me know if that doesnt make sense, probably easier to demonstrate than explain

just on a side note: even though for organisational purposes having everything in one .exr might be easier to manage, I have been told it also puts more strain on the compositing pipeline. Consider pulling an image in because you want to use the specular pass from it. Now you are also pulling in the diffuse,occlusion and shadow, with a lot of (unused) passes, this can become an overhead on the network - this becomes more a problem at higher resolutions.

I think .exr is a great format, and works well with AOV, but storing everything in one pass can get heavy.

just on a side note: even though for organisational purposes having everything in one .exr might be easier to manage, I have been told it also puts more strain on the compositing pipeline. Consider pulling an image in because you want to use the specular pass from it. Now you are also pulling in the diffuse,occlusion and shadow, with a lot of (unused) passes, this can become an overhead on the network - this becomes more a problem at higher resolutions.

I think .exr is a great format, and works well with AOV, but storing everything in one pass can get heavy.

Good point Peter!

Edited by claudio_101

• 2 weeks later...