Animation Retiming for Slow Motion

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of making a small dice thowing animation. basically i want for the final animation to be a slow motion dice throw. where im having problems is the slowing down of the animation to be approximatly 10x slower. the final thing will be exported to Maya via a FBX file.

so far i've tried slowing it down by increasing the frame rate to 240fps, however this made houdini encounter an error when exporting the FBX file saying it had to be at the dafault 24fps. the next approach i tried involved lowering all forces such as velocity and gravity to slow the animation, however this resulting in far too much rolling once the dice hit the board.

any help much appreciated as ever :D sam

dice1.hip

can't help you with the fbx side of things as I don't know much about it...

But I seem to remember Maya has the ability to copy the uv's from one object to another. I can't remember the name by heart. You can probably copy the uv's from a hidden copy of your original geometry to the cached geometry and then rebaking it. Not a very good solution, but if it helps you for your shot... :)

Hi there, From your last expercise you made that you also had mention that you wanted to do this, here could be a method that you could use.

First of all, in you hip file you have uploaded there is a OBJ that is used and It;s on

/Users/samuelblain/Desktop/Redux/Maya/Redux/data/dice.obj

And I could not work on this file , but for the purpose it is the same.

The sidefx

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1052&Itemid=132

Introduction to CHOPs

Like I said this is just on method,

It may be a bit dence:

This is for retiming it's kins of confusing, in that I am not to sure if you are incountering And Issue with the FBX. I don't have maya to test this but I have used XSI to do the same kind of things. I guess I just want to get

the sim into a renderfarm to get a fast GI on the file just to see it.

In the snap shoy you can see a dynamic node inside the chops network, well I guess there is mant ways to get the data from on network to another, and then this back into the othere apps.

If this is something really short and you just need the render there are many simple ways , baking the geometry frame by frame but in the chops you can do some really nice animation.

Here is the hipnc, also maybe some people have gone through this ,I dont use maya , so I can't do the FBX , sorry

For me this has not been a really stable method , I did try the FBX method over a year ago . so I can give a good opinion.

Anyway let me know if you just wan to get this going fast , becuase maybe this is your objective , and not really learn a bunh of methodes.

anyway get your obj uploaded

mangi

post-2848-126307392318_thumb.jpg

chop_retime.hipnc