IDE for use with Python and Houdini

Macha

My python scripts are getting a bit too large for inbuild editor. I7m also getting really frustrated with the copy-pasting not working properly (maybe that's just my machine)

Can I use an external IDE? Any favorites, and how do I get them to work with Houdini?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Is Houdini supposed to pickup what's in the editor when you save the file in the external editor? I'm on OS X, using mvim, and saving does nothing to Houdini.

Thanks!

This is really good question - I'm on linux and everytime I change a file in external editor houdini hda propertes view freezes unless I save and close the file .... This is so anoying that I cannot simply use extenrla editor and close it everytie I want to test my hda.

Is there a way to make it working better?

hi there i have set variable 'VISUAL' as 'gvim' as value then restarted houdini but hitting 'Alt+e' does not seem to be opening up GVIM..

windows 7 (64bit)

envqs.jpg

Could someone please point me to right direction?

Is there anything I need to change inside houdini?

Much appreciated.

Edited by efecto

I have set all my environment variables properly, but houdini locks up (and gvim doesn't open) when I hit the external editor button. I am using and older version, could that be the reason?

where is this external editor button found? alt+e?

• 2 weeks later...

edward, thanks.

I added a full path to gvim and now i can launch gvim inside houdini. However I only seem to be able to launch an external text editor from 'Hotkey Manager Search' window for some reason.. when I hit 'Alt+e' from start up screen it doesn't launch it.

has anyone experienced this?