How to make a smoke containment field

rayinvan

Attached a simple file.

The idea here is to have two objects object smoke out of a smoke stack or chimmney.

The two emitter objects are used to emit smoke, kind of obvious.

I then created to tubes that represent the smoke stacks. I have called these containment and containment1

The smoke is set to rise up the Y axis with a slight drift on the X axis as well. Did this with Buoyancy Dir. parameters set to 0.25 1 0 respectively.

The problem is that the smoke passes through the containment objects which of course if very unnatural. The smoke needs to be contained within the objects that it rises up and drifts but can not penetrate the containment objects. Am I making sense.

I tried setting up the containment objects up as RBD Static objects and checked that the collision volumes were calculated well, but the smoke does not react to these as collions objects.

Question:

How can I make these objects act like containment objects so that the smoke can not pass through their walls.

SmokeTestSiddarth.hipnc

...I tried setting up the containment objects up as RBD Static objects and checked that the collision volumes were calculated well, but the smoke does not react to these as collions objects.

i think you've done it in the right way (RBD Static objects) but have in mind that you need very high container resolution to have your smoke collide well with thin objects.

Edited by postezz

• 1 month later...

...I tried setting up the containment objects up as RBD Static objects and checked that the collision volumes were calculated well, but the smoke does not react to these as collions objects.

i think you've done it in the right way (RBD Static objects) but have in mind that you need very high container resolution to have your smoke collide well with thin objects.

Try using a volume extrude SOP on your smokestacks. Build up the thickness of the walls.

rayinvan - first, your collision geometry doesn't seem to be in the simulationi at all. Also, the fluid sim res is very low, one voxel seems bigger than your collision objects. The collision objects themselves also seem to be pretty thin, you may need to go to your collision tab and ensure the sdf generated is correct, may need to turn off laser scan, or use a different type of collision geo.

Regards,

GW