Let me ask this a different way..

I recently asked how to set up hotkeys in Houdini.

Now that I know (via Alt-Shift-A) I would like to know how to tie a hotkey to a specific custom menu. I cannot for love nor money find this anywhere and the other hotkeys already defined don't have any common pattern to them, many of them going straight to op names.

So if I create a custom menu called Blah, and it now shows up when I hit TAB, how can I tie that one custom menu to a hotkey so only *it* pops up when I hit that key?

Thanks for clarifying this tiny still unresolved detail for me :)

but I don't think you can pop up just your menu, although you can get rid of all the other menus :P

Using the Toolbar Manager, hit the H (hide) flag for all the other menus, so that you're only left with the one you created.

And I guess you can then unhide them whenever you feel like it.

-Jens

Ugh, this is frustrating. I can't simply tie my custom tolbar so only it shows up without hiding all the rest? That would require I unhide them whenever I need some op not in my cutsom toolbar.

Please I hope someone from SideFX is reading, I am loving Houdini but honestly workflow screams out as still needing some very fundamental refinements and this is definitely one area that I would put under that category.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

actually, you'd have 2 bars. Filters and your custom tool bar. So you'd still have access to all the tools.

By the way, just to make sure, are aware that you can start typing the operations name and it'll show you all operators that start with those letters? I don't really use the menus at all anymore, because I find it faster to just typing the name of the operation, and then select it from the few options it displays.

Anyway, for now it might just be easier to tie frequent poly modelling ops to hotkeys instead.. I'm sure that's doable.. (I hope)

Yip... I've got almost my whole keypad mapped out. The '.' is polysplit, the 0 is polyextrude, 1 is edit, 2 is dissolve and 3 is blast.

But by far the most helpful ones are the plus, minus and star keys, which are mapped to the selection modes (add, subtract, replace). These modes are very helpful in avoiding selecting points for 5 minutes and then misclicking and losing your entire selection...

Cheers

Marc