Math in VFX?

Tong Le

Hi there,

I am new to here.

I am doing my master thesis development now. I want to do something related to math/physics or physics in VFX. Right now, I just have a very vague idea. Of course, I wanna use Houdini as the platform. However, I am not allowed to do any proj based on a software, but I can use the software as the platform to do the proj part and use relative theory or something to be the paper part.

I though Johner's voronoi fracture is a good idea. He use animation demonstrate how voronoi used in 2D and 3D. I though math maybe very important when we do some VFX esp. as a TD.

Anybody can give me some suggestion or idea?

Thanks a lot,

Tong Le

I think having a good concept of math is important in every day life. Sure you don't really use differential calculus in your day to day life but it's still nice to have the knowledge.

In the 3d/FX side I think trigonometry is pretty useful, as well as calculus concepts and knowledge of vectors and linear algebra.

cool. thanks all your replies. I am trying to find some paper or articles now to get some sense. Then, I can get an idea about my proposal. Right now, one thing go to my mind is use animation to show the relationship between lighting and shadering stuff. I am trying to find some other possible idea. welcome to command or suggest.

:)

In the 3d/FX side I think trigonometry is pretty useful, as well as calculus concepts and knowledge of vectors and linear algebra.

I would add Logic to that list while thinking about autonomous behaviors and AI for animations.