Texture Based Emission

Solitude

I'm wondering how to emit pyro/liquid from an object with a map applied to it, where the intensity of the map controls the amount fire/smoke emission. ...From there I could use the same technique to control any other piece of data, but I just don't have any idea where to start. I think I could figure it out with point colors, but I would like this to use uv coordinates instead (ie: not point attributes), and that's where I get lost. :D ..Vops?

Second Question: How would this same thing be accomplished with particles?

...I was going to ask about how to turn particles into voxels / transfer data, but I was just remember that Peter Claes covers that in his thesis paper...

Thx! :D

• 1 month later...

I'm curious about the answer for question 1, too! :)

But I can answer question 2. It's quite easy. You create your geometry and assign your UVs to it so that your texture maps well to the surface. Then you use a VOPSOP and fetch the UV attributes with a vector parameter node and use these for your colormap which you can use to load in your custom emission map. Convert the output of that map to a float value which you pipe into a float parameter node (make sure export is turned on) and name that parameter properly, i.e. area or emission. After the VOPSOP you promote the attribute as primitive and within the Source POP of the POP network you can use emission by surface (attribute) which should point to the parameter name of your exported emission parameter. And that's it!

Phong

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the example with the values from the texture to control the density.

PS: I found that is better to work in this case with a volume sop, because it don't need to rebuild the volume every frame, is more fast in this special case than isooffset sop.

Fluid_ImageSource.hipnc

Edited by Pazuzu

Here is the example with the values from the texture to control the density.

PS: I found that is better to work in this case with a volume sop, because it don't need to rebuild the volume every frame, is more fast in this special case than isooffset sop.

Thanks for the tips / examples, they're super useful!