Procedural Rust

LaidlawFX

Hi all,

So there is a slim rust shader that I love, that I learned at school, that for months I couldn't figured out how to do it VEX until I broke it down node by node and rendered it out. It has a lot better feel than the built in one into Houdini that i used for my Thesis. It's very customizable, although the controls in slim weren't that apparent, but thanks to shops I can probably give more control, albeit I think it may be best to work with this shader at the VEX Layer. Breakdown to follow, once I can package this in a reasonable manner...

I have to give many thanks to Paul Kanyuk who taught me this shader in slim.

Ok so here is the Slim breakdown of the rust shader in a PDF. I will post a VEX breakdown latter after I fix it up, along with the hip and .otl that will be more helpful. I just need to clean up the files a bit.

I may need to updates this later, spell check only helps so far...

ProceduralRustShader_BRL.pdf

Ok so here is the Slim breakdown of the rust shader in a PDF. I will post a VEX breakdown latter after I fix it up, along with the hip and .otl that will be more helpful. I just need to clean up the files a bit.

I may need to updates this later, spell check only helps so far...

Very nice. Looking forward to the VEX breakdown.

Thanks!

Updated the breakdown of the slim shader .pdf, realized it was wrong when when I was making the Vex version. I still have two issues to fix before I post the vex shader, 1 - the layering of lighting models, like layer general in slim, and 2 - the occlusion data working with the displacement shader nicely. I got the point cloud occlusion finally working for the first time, but apparently that doesn't work in dops land like the regular ray based occlusion. Still got a few more things to try.

ProceduralRustShader_BRL.pdf

Here is a comparable build of the graph networks

Initial Slim

post-5070-126636638694_thumb.png

Vex

1. VopDisplacement

post-5070-126636619836_thumb.png

2. VopSurface

post-5070-126636619997_thumb.png

3. Material level, and Shop Level

post-5070-126636619638_thumb.png

Hip File - does not have the ShaderTester.obj, the baked off AO maps, or the procedural texture maps to make it to work as is, use the link in the post above for the whole kit

Procedural_Rust_01.hip

The biggest problem I had was I couldn't get the AO Texture Baking from the Houdini exchange to work(so I used maya/mentalray), or the Occlusion SOP which would be the most similar to my slim method, since the shader would be 100% free from UVs, but it won't work in VopDisplacements area(not to mention the regular occlusion vex node). Also many thanks to Jonathan Gilbert for his multi-tex, triplanar... etc. shader which is key in the textures usage so you don't need UVs for the other part of the shader.

If anybody can get the Occlusion SOP to work in VopDisplacements land or pipe it in from VopSurface I would be most happy. I believe theoretically point clouds should work in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

For a good laugh I built this shader in Hypershade...

post-5070-126739943038_thumb.png

...my old teach Paul proposed/made a statement/question that you should be able to build this type of network in any node based shader network and he asked about the viability in Hypershade. For fun and to not let Maya win I got the system to work, but the only good thing anybody should ever take from this is...

...Hypershade in Maya make Slim in Renderman Studio for Maya look good, and Slim makes Houdini's Vops look awesome. I don't know about anybody's proprietary shader networks though to further the statement, as I'm told there are a bunch more node's at Pixar for instance, but off the shelf software Vops wins hands down.

Hope it was a good laugh.