CHOPS

donners4

The pieces contains a large number of cubes. I need each cube to scale in the Y direction according to music data from chops, i want to have about 4 or 5 different exports from chops. So what i need to do is assign each exports of these to random cubes in the scene, how can I do this? The image is of the cubes i am using.

Thanks

post-5403-1266782741_thumb.png

I've setup a basic scene. The CHOP network looks quite complicated but it's basically all filtering to get a better animation curve.

For advanced users, I'm aware of the Channel SOP but I couldn't get it to work with this. I don't know what goes wrong but I just want to sample a curve in CHOPS based at the current time, like I accomplish with the chopf() expression. So I used the expression instead.

chopBoxes.rar

Thanks for the replies guys, big help and i understand both methods. However the main problem im having now with my scene is that the cubes i am using are imported from maya, therefore i have about 300 cubes subnetted at the scene level, and therefore these methods dont really work. Should i remodel the cubes or is there another way to get round this?

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies guys, big help and i understand both methods. However the main problem im having now with my scene is that the cubes i am using are imported from maya, therefore i have about 300 cubes subnetted at the scene level, and therefore these methods dont really work. Should i remodel the cubes or is there another way to get round this?

Thanks again

You could object_import them separately in a new SOP geo node and then merge them together. Then use a connectivity and wire this in a separate SOP (Look at the help for details how these SOP's work). This results in every box having it's own group.

Personally I would like to use a foreach and loop thru every group/piece and calculate the centroid and create a point at this position. Next I would use these points to copy new boxes on to them using a copy SOP. From there the workflow you can find in the file should work fine. Nice thing about this is, you only need to process the imported mesh once and after that everything is nice, clean en fast.

You could even, in the foreach SOP, retrieve the bounding box info and store this on to the new centroid point. And use this to scale the new boxes.

EDIT:

I'm sorry I hadn't noticed there were non cubical shapes. In that case I would use the system as mentioned above to create a light prev system. And once the motion is tuned apply it thru another foreach loop to the imported maya mesh.

Nick

Edited by Nerox