retiming FBX

Hi guys,

let's say we have an animated FBX 360 frames.

I am making a cycle animation that supposed to go from 0 to 360 and back to 0 (example attached).

since I will be instancing or copystamping this geometry on my particles I need to have the ability to stretch time (make it faster on certain particles).

so how can I get an attribute that would effect animation of this FBX object?

thanks a lot

Hey PhasmaCeritus

With the timeshift SOP, you can index into the animation by changing the Frame, just like you connect time nodes in maya.

So you can use an expression like

wrap ($F, 0,360) - "Wraps a value between a minimum and maximum."

Alternatively you could write out the data to bgeo, by using the Rop Output Driver Sop

and reading them back in using a similar expression.

hope this helps :blink:

brian

im pretty sure time shift is what you want

- maybe you have to get your animation in SOP level somehow...object merge ?

yes, time shift and wrap expression that's definitely what I need, but how do I get my animated FBX it in sop level? I am trying with that object merge I guess I am doing something wrong, doesn't seem to be working.

can somebody help me with that? I guess it's just one click if you know how to do it :)

thanks

yes, time shift and wrap expression that's definitely what I need, but how do I get my animated FBX it in sop level? I am trying with that object merge I guess I am doing something wrong, doesn't seem to be working.

can somebody help me with that? I guess it's just one click if you know how to do it :)

thanks

here you go

target03.hip

here you go

target03.hip

thanks a lot, that's exactly what I wanted. but since we are talking abut ways to bring FBX to the sop level I will ask another question :) lets say we have a really difficult hierarchy network in the FBX. is there another way to bring it to the sop level instead of merging each hierarchy level separately?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

thanks a lot, that's exactly what I wanted. but since we are talking abut ways to bring FBX to the sop level I will ask another question :) lets say we have a really difficult hierarchy network in the FBX. is there another way to bring it to the sop level instead of merging each hierarchy level separately?

thanks

Sorry, I found this thread a little late, however just a thought ...

I am assuming you are using FBX as an interchange/bridge between Houdini and another tool.

If so, instead of using FBX you could use OBJ-sequences (depending on the source tool/plugin you should be able to export as one file or file per object as a choice) and then use a simple File-SOP in Houdini to import.

cheers

Sorry, I found this thread a little late, however just a thought ...

I am assuming you are using FBX as an interchange/bridge between Houdini and another tool.

If so, instead of using FBX you could use OBJ-sequences (depending on the source tool/plugin you should be able to export as one file or file per object as a choice) and then use a simple File-SOP in Houdini to import.

cheers

thanks RontheDon,

that also works!

and what if I want to do the opposite? what if I need to import OBJ sequence from houdini to 3D Max? getting OBJ's from houdini is not a problem but is there a tool or a script in Max to get those OBJ's cycling?