shuttered glass rendering

Hello, I have a problem with rendering glass. Is there somebody who has experience with this effects? I need only crisp white rflection, ready for compositing, like on reference. There is very simple scene with simple setup, I use only standard reflective material and background white elements, but results is bad. Like on reference, edges almost still shine white, but in some angles no. Please help me with this issue.....BC.....

0018_Glass_Break.mov

test_glass_01.hip

Hello, I have a problem with rendering glass. Is there somebody who has experience with this effects? I need only crisp white rflection, ready for compositing, like on reference. There is very simple scene with simple setup, I use only standard reflective material and background white elements, but results is bad. Like on reference, edges almost still shine white, but in some angles no. Please help me with this issue.....BC.....

0018_Glass_Break.mov

test_glass_01.hip

I think you should light the glass with a HDR image inside the environment of the glass_material. Don't need to be nothing extraordinary.

I rendered a quick example of it.

glass_break_x264.mov

It was light only with this image.

float_image.hdr.zip

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Have you tried Houdini's Env Light? Using an env light, and providing it with Fabiano's HDRI, will give you the reflections and refractions you're looking for. Also, you might want to turn on "Render Light Geometry" on the env light so that you can see how it's refracting against a BG.

As for the geometry... You'll want to slightly bevel the edges of the shards to catch glints when it's animating. You will need to switch between non-fractured and pre-fractured geometry on the frame of impact. Otherwise, you will reveal all of your faceting.