Boom!

mwagner

heya fellas, this is my 1st actual question on these forums and i've read some good stuff on here so far...i'm expecting good input :P

i'm trying to recreate a pretty popular effect, the atomic bomb explosion! BOOM! now aside from the explosion itself, here is where i am having trouble thinking of how something like this would be done. the buildings....how do i get the buildings to really seem like they're being blasted by an intense force of air, as well as being blasted to bitty pieces? the effect won't focus on one building rather then a small city, so it wouldn't have to be immensly detailed on a small scale.

as far as conceptualization on how to do this effect, the main problem i ran across is how to have buildings be effected in a radius as they would be by a central explosion?

on a side note: i'm pretty sure i can get the billowing mushroom cloud effect by using i3d and metaballs, right? :D

anyway...i'm not looking for a definite answer here, but any suggestions or fingers pointed towards helpful tutorials would be much appreciated. thanks guys and gals, i'll try to keep y'all updated on the progress...if any ;)

the main problem i ran across is how to have buildings be effected in a radius as they would be by a central explosion?

You can probably set up a simple trigger system, where you place a point for each building, then compare the distance to the center of the explosion to the blast radius. If the radius is bigger than the distance, boom!

I just watched T2 again, and I gotta say, their blast effect was pretty sweet. I'm guessing they did it mostly practical, but there was a certain simplicity to it that made it look really good. Not sure how to explain. Just go rent it or something :)

-Jens

oh i own T2 :D i really do like the effect as well. thanks for pointing that out as an example. i heard the explosion in T3 was incredible as well so maybe i'll have to check that out. thanks for the suggestion. i'll see what i can come up with.

-later,

matt

Hmn... I don't think there's any good tutorials for it. Houdinis RBDs are a bit... unrefined. Some people swear by them, saying they rock, but there's a lot of setup involved, and you gotta find the right values. If you just start playing with them, you might get some bad results.

Wow, I was no help whatsoever.

Sorry,

Jens