Clip and mirror

I want to use the clip sop in such a way that it clips and mirrors the object along the clip plane. It's trivial for orthogonal axes, but what if they are arbitrary.

It's a bit of a math&expression problem. Anyone know how to do it?

post-4013-127855770566_thumb.jpg

clip.hipnc

Can't you follow it up with a Mirror SOP? It has the exact same controls as the Clip SOP so if you just channel reference the origin, distance and direction parms to the Clip it will mirror your geometry properly.

Thank you Graham! I was already deep in vopsland there. Didn't know of the mirror sop.

Definitely not my sharpest day.

(evidence: just realized I didn't save my work of last 3 hours and selected exit without save..argh...)

Edited by Macha

FWIW, the math is equation 7 from here: http://mathworld.wol...neDistance.html (which can be conveniently calculated using dot products if you normalize first) ... You already know the normal N (it's the normalized direction vector), once you know the distance D, then you just need to do P' = P + 2*D*N for appropriate sign of D. But then, I personally prefer the Mirror SOP. :)

(evidence: just realized I didn't save my work of last 3 hours and selected exit without save..argh...)

i dumped so many nice renders when i closed mplay...any good solutions for that ? i used unix(time) in output file field but it looks ugly