Sand

Omy

Could anyone tell me how to create sand simulation..

I mean just a sphere falling making use of pops and dops

much appreciated if you can provide me a hip file to see what happens

hahahh,i was asking one year ago on how to make such effect,but nobody could tell me the exact procedur,i think it's not yet time to expose such idea.

from what i know,simulating falling sphere in rbd,and transfer the velocity to particle is the way to go,but for now,i still don't understand on how to creat this velocity field from those falling sphere

maybe you get the chance to make it work !

good luck

cheers

Farid

Well, a simple method could be converting the geo into a volume, scatter points into it and use those as a source for the popnet. This will just give you the simple "sand effect" given the correct amount of particles.

Continuing from there, another one could be using the popnet just to spawn the initial particles, and then treat those as a liquid sim in DOPs (but without most of the liquid properties..). I think i'd just use LOTS of viscosity, and that could give a cool effect also.

The problem would be solving the sim. I don't really see 1+Million particles solving fast with the fluid solver anyway. But that could be an idea anyway.

Oh, and there actually IS a sand solver in houdini (that uses FLIP technology by the way) but i never figured out how to use it XDDD