writing custom smoke shader?

Guest ravin

I am planning to modify an existing volume shader because the noise used in these shaders (billowy/wispy shader) seems to be giving problems in rendering. Does anyone know which noise to use and how to use if I want a smoky looking texture on particles??

thanks,

I am planning to modify an existing volume shader because the noise used in these shaders (billowy/wispy shader) seems to be giving problems in rendering. Does anyone know which noise to use and how to use if I want a smoky looking texture on particles??

thanks,

What kind of problems?

I can see you been asking alot about the shader noise and rest volumes.

Have you tried any of the files submitted in forums?

For example this one submitted by old school.

What kind of problems?

I can see you been asking alot about the shader noise and rest volumes.

Have you tried any of the files submitted in forums?

For example this one submitted by old school.

I haven't tried this one but I have tried pretty much all the other files related to volumes and none of them seem to be working. They all have the same problem. I have posted few renders as attachments in some of my posts which show my problem. I will give this example a try too.

If you have noise problems it's REST problems. If you have 2 rest fields (rest,rest2),

you could try using only one rest field but you will have your noise stretching a lot

if your smoke is advected for a long time ( just like in Maya )

I would stay away from any rest. My solution: optimize your solver to simulate at higher resolution.

That way, you won't need any noise in the shader :)

I haven't tried this one but I have tried pretty much all the other files related to volumes and none of them seem to be working. They all have the same problem. I have posted few renders as attachments in some of my posts which show my problem. I will give this example a try too.

If you have noise problems it's REST problems. If you have 2 rest fields (rest,rest2),

you could try using only one rest field but you will have your noise stretching a lot

if your smoke is advected for a long time ( just like in Maya )

I would stay away from any rest. My solution: optimize your solver to simulate at higher resolution.

That way, you won't need any noise in the shader :)

Thank you. I will try this method.